TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a huge hole in my dash; its from sundamage and people putting their feet on it. Well, I have been lost to finding a fix and I dont want a new dash if i can help it. I came across this DAP Vinyl Spackle, I am wondering if that'll do the trick. Any advice is appreciated. -greg

·
Registered
935 Posts
Here's what I'd do...

Before trying any products that say they'll do the job, check out a local upholstery
guy. I know the product you're talking about and personally I don't think it works as stated. It's one of them products that sounds to good to be true... I think it would be better to ask the pro than use DAP and have it comming out like crap.

Here's something I've thought of and I think it would work. See if you can get a piece of the vinyl dash from the upholstery shop.Then cut out a section of the dash and use some apoxy to replace the messed up spot. Then I don't know if this is what your refering to but they sell a vinyl/leather repair kit(they sold it on TV for a while). Go around the edges of your patch and make it blend in... might even repaint the entire dash just to make it all look newer.

Let me know what you finally do, because a couple of my friends cars have done this as well.

G

·
I used the walmart stuff

I bought liquid vinyl from walmart and I fixed a good 5"X12" spot that had no viynl... well, its covered but it doesn't look GREAT... it looks black... and that's all I was going for.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grabejr - do you have a picture or can get one? id like to see...

tim - ill rally consider that advice, but cash isnt the easiest thing to come around when there are so many more important things to be done.. i figured if i tried to do a really good job and give it a good coat of paint itd be fine, im not going to for perfect, but anything is better than what it is.

-greg

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, one of my friends last night told me to check out the JC whitney catalog and see if there is anything cause hes seen stuff for other cars. it appears they have a couple choices for dash covers in there, so i might do that.

·
Registered
935 Posts
What did you do?

Did you end up getting a dash cap, doing the DAP repair, or did you put it off like I do when I just don't feel like messing with it anymore. I really don't think you'd spend more than like $20 on the method I came up with on my first post. I've bought matterial from upholstery shops and it was cheap, so I doubt it would be any different...I think it would just take time and a ton of patients to make it look good. If you're not going for an A1 job I'd get the kit and make it look better than it does not and leave it alone.

G

·
Nahhh no picture but I can give ya a mental one... picture your dash looking like it;s been melted from too much sun... I'm sure that someone else could do a better job... I'm just gonna end up replacing the whole damn thing though and wanted to pass my insurance inspection for comp coverage.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
some one showed me a site with dash caps, bu they are 120 bucks if you want it colored, 100 if just plain. i think i might do it, but just not yet, i have many many more important things to take care of first. -greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 90 with a few big cracks in my dash as well. Went to the local junkyard....$50 and 3 hours later I had a new black dash from a 90 Cougar for my T-bird. Last weekend I finally got around to putting it into my car. It took my father and I 7 hours to take my old one out and put the new one back in. Didn't have one problem. Just takes so much time finding every little hidden screw and then some. If you can find a good dash (took me 2 months of looking) go ahead and do that. Yes, it is a total pain in the butt to take the old one out and put the new one it, but it looks better than any cover or repair kit and is worth every bit of the time. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts