TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got my PI cams from UPS (Won them of off ebay for 70 bucks). Are there any visual differences between the two types? How can I tell if a cam is one or the other? Both the cams I recieved have their own part numbers. One is 1L2E 6A274 CA and the other is 1L2E 6250 DA. Just trying to make sure I HAVE pi cams before I install them and that I didn't get screwed on ebay... Thanks for the help!!

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Pappy said:
Hey guys, I just got my PI cams from UPS (Won them of off ebay for 70 bucks). Are there any visual differences between the two types? How can I tell if a cam is one or the other? Both the cams I recieved have their own part numbers. One is 1L2E 6A274 CA and the other is 1L2E 6250 DA. Just trying to make sure I HAVE pi cams before I install them and that I didn't get screwed on ebay... Thanks for the help!!
did the cams come with sprockets or not?
thouse are the enginering numbers , but it sounds right i think i can look at mines and
let you know if they are .

Jurgen

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jurgen,
No they didn't come with sprockets. Can't I just use the ones off of my 96 heads?
Also if those are engineering numbers where on them do they hide the part numbers? Thanks for the reply!!

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
Pappy said:
Jurgen,
No they didn't come with sprockets. Can't I just use the ones off of my 96 heads?
Also if those are engineering numbers where on them do they hide the part numbers? Thanks for the reply!!
if they are not the ones that would have the pressed on cam gear , then this would
be the romeo ones so yea you can use your cam gears , the part number wouldt be on
the cam if it had a ford box the number would have been on there , if thats the
enginering number thats grinded on the cam i will check mines when i get em back and let you know if they
are the 01+ romeo ones .

Jurgen

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What exactly will the PI cams get you?
Can they be used with stock heads? Or do you have to the PI head swap?

I'm thinking about building my engine up N/A. Since the general opinion i've noticed is that I can't do the PI heads and the AED without doing ALOT of engine work (compression is too high) or a swap.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
chris, if you plan on doing an AED, PnP your stock heads, and put in PI cams. PI cams can be put in 96-98 NPI heads. You can't put them in pre-96 heads. JL saw a 13rwhp (Nat. Asp.) w/ PI cams , and lengthened the powerband nicely.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What kind of a job are we talking here? weekend? week(s)?

I never been able to not do something myself to date. And i'll probably store the bird this winter, so I will have months to work on it :)

Any clue how much it will run to port & polish the stock heads?

I guess i'm kind of iffy on the AED, my brother and I put a turbo in his Mazda MP3 and we've had alot of problems. Granted there aren't very many kits for it, and it's a new car. But it kind of has me scared.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I have not done cams, but JL said it took him 8 hours on a relaxed pace. A headswap would probably take most of your weekend. I think both Fox Lake and Renegade are around $600 for headwork.

The AED kit is quite safe. I haven't heard of anyone blowing their stock block unless they installed a smaller pulley, used a large shot of n2o, or had PI heads (increased compression :leftright ).

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Hmmm... i need to figure out what i'm going to do...

I'm getting my strut brace and rear sway soon... then i want my FRPP 3.73 pumpkin... and new MAF, TB.... new chip...then... it's on to the engine.. so i need to figured out whether i'm going n/a or AED.... decisions decisions...

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
The AED kit is supposed to be pretty easy for 96/97s. Quite a few people on the boards have them. No one that has it has said bad things about it that I know of. Also the guys at AED are supposed to be pretty cool and nice to work with.

-Shawn

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
So, are those PI cams , or what? Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I currently have unported NPI heads with PI cams and the AED kit on my 97.

The kit is awesome. It will wake up your car and you will appreciate your newfound torque. My last dyno netted my 311 rwhp and 370 ft. lbs of tq. Before the PI cams I had dynod at 270 hp and 311 tq. I had a few more mods done in between than just the cams but they helped greatly. I think I still have a little power to be had with this setup. One word of advice is decide what you want now and will be happy with for some time. The AED kit doesnt give you much room to go back and change things once you have it all installed.

Unless you like to take things apart do it all at once.

And get a good tune on the car.

Have fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts