TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently filled up my SC for the first time since ive owned it and the guage went to full. It has been at full for the last 200 miles or so, so I know its not correct. It was working fine before the fill up. My question is, will the VMM or Check guages light still trigger without the guage working? Probably not, but just wondering if they had a different switch on the sending unit. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The low fuel light will likely NOT work if the gauge isn't working. my 89 Cougar has this thing where if I part in my parents driveway with a full tank, it sticks on full until I go down a certain road at a certain speed and hit a certain bump. I had hoped I could count on the low fuel light but I couldn't, it didn't come on when it should have.

Mine started doing that when I had a muffler put in the car. The person that did the welding was a hack, and I think he put the ground clamp on the frame and not the exhaust. I would fix it but I don't park in my parents driveway anymore (leaks oil!) and I don't fill it up anymore because it leaks gas when full (yes, it sounds like a heap but it isn't, if you don't fill up the tank and park on an incline!).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our other 90 was famous for leaking gas if you filled it all the way up. so I was testing that with this one and topped it all the way up. Sure enough it smelled like gas for a week or so around the car. I pulled the cluster last night and reseated the connectors and made sure the needle wasnt jammed. Moved it down to empty, it drove back up with the key on. Guess its sending unit time. I will probably do the fuel pump at the same time as I hate dropping tanks.
Come to think of it, I dropped the tank a few months ago to do the trans swap. Maybe I loosened something up.... time to look.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey any luck on that fuel gauge problem? I have something similar and just posted a thread on it. Mine pegs all the way past full but my VMM always says "low fuel" too and I actually had to drop the tank for a trans swap last weekend and all the connectors looked good.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent gotten any further. I do believe its either in the tank or right at it on the connector. I lowered mine on a trans jack when I swapped AODs and didnt take it down low enough to look, so maybe I pulled something loose? It did work right after that for a few months, so its probably in the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts