TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering going out to VMP tomorrow evening for the Street Wars/ TT event to get some times with the new setup. I'll be bringing my drag radials this time since I'll actually need them. Is anyone else considering going out there tomorrow? If not, I'll just have to run with all my stuff in the trunk as I won't be driving over an hour on my drag tires that are about done, let alone leaving my tools and other tires out in the parking lot unattended. I've been putting this off for too long due to work and the track's schedule. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I always drive to the track on drag radials, 90 miles one way. I put 10k miles on a set of M/T's I bought used, and they still had tread left when I replaced them.

I don't like to do extra work at the track, and if I was taking the T-Bird, I can't recall ever getting 2 full sized tires to fit in the trunk right off-hand, esp with tools. But that's just me.

Al

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything fits in the trunk fine for me. My DR's are 235/60/15's. Anything bigger, and they'd have to be in the back seat. I might just leave everything in my parking space when I get there. MY DR's don't have barely any tread left on them. I think this will be the last trip to the track that they can make. I'm not looking forward to buying new drag radials, a MT 255/60/15 runs $209.99 each at my job.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well. I'm back with times. Ran it with just 93 premium, no corn. Best 1/4 time was a 13.825 at 98.94 mph. My best 60ft was a 1.92 when I ran a 13.839 at 98.25 mph. It's safe to say that my drag radials are toast. For a while, I was fighting with the rev limiter on the 1-2 shift. The tune needs more work, the converter was taking it's good old sweet time locking up after the 1-2 shift. My race weight was 3950, as I didn't take anything out of the car, it was legitimately full weight. The only thing I took out of the trunk was the spare tire and jack.

Fastest 1/4 mile run:
R/T....(.345)
60'...1.996
1/8...8.844
MPH...79.16
1/4...13.825
MPH...98.94

Best 60 ft run:
R/T...(.445)
60'...1.920
1/8...8.830
MPH...78.79
1/4...13.839
MPH...98.25

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Nice! 13s is movin!

You def have more in it need to get that tune adjusted! And better tires! I'm thinking with your power levels you should be well into the 100mph range. I guess the TC lock up was holding you back.

What is the elevation at the track?

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe 200 -300 ft. Close to sea level.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Well done Michael

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Mike

Congrats on your new times!

Did you run the car across the scales while you were there with the stuff out of the car? How much fuel in the car?

Looks like the density altitude last nite there was between 400- 800 FT DA dependent on the time you ran.

Need to get the tune dialed in more. That's a good start.

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
Congrats! Quite an improvement from 14.5 to 13.8 I'll get you updated on the best times lists.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Congrats on your new times!

Did you run the car across the scales while you were there with the stuff out of the car? How much fuel in the car?

Looks like the density altitude last nite there was between 400- 800 FT DA dependent on the time you ran.

Need to get the tune dialed in more. That's a good start.
Yeah, she weighed in at 3950 with me in it. The car itself is 3750. That was with the tools, spare tire, and street tires removed from the trunk. My amplifier and subwoofers were still in the trunk the whole time. I didn't remove the seats.

·
2,643 Posts
My silver 95 Cougar was a load too. It had the sunroof and all that other stuff in it too. With a full tank of gas and me in it that car hit the scales around 3920.

Crazy how some of the weights vary on these cars.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got there with 3/4 tank.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, something stupid told me too fill up on the way out there.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,808 Posts
Michael from what I have seen & Robert as well, Best to have about a full tank, for the pickup is in the front, My bird will miss some beats if it does not have over 3/4 .

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It would have been a good 30 lbs lighter without my subs in the trunk.

·
2,643 Posts
That kinda sucks. Around 6lbs for each gallon of fuel.. A full tank would be ~96 lbs! A 1/4 tank would be 24 lbs. That's 72 lbs of weight reduction right there! :eek:
I've always run mine at a 1/4 tank or slightly over and never had a problem. Now if you are making more than a couple runs you should have extra fuel with you to put in or of course have more in the tank to start with. Mike, If you had done that and run without the subs you are looking at about 100 lb weight reduction.

Just a thought.

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
I've never had a problem with 1/2 to 3/8 of a tank. The only time I've missed due to fuel starvation was when it was under a 1/4 tank. I like to start my day with a half to 5/8 of a tank. I'm with Steve (1MTNCAT) on this one. Just don't let it get under a 1/4 tank and you'll be fine.

Take that sub box anchor weight out of the car when you go to the track for heavens sake!

·
2,643 Posts
I've never had a problem with 1/2 to 3/8 of a tank. The only time I've missed due to fuel starvation was when it was under a 1/4 tank. I like to start my day with a half to 5/8 of a tank. I'm with Steve (1MTNCAT) on this one. Just don't let it get under a 1/4 tank and you'll be fine.

Take that sub box anchor weight out of the car when you go to the track for heavens sake!
With that being said, with a power adder car it is safer to run more fuel since it requires more to feed the power adder, and you certainly don't want to go lean.

In my case, if I'm running NA I can run a little less. With the Nitrous I needed to run a little more. Now I have a back feed fuel cell so there is no issue unless of course I run out of fuel. That's not happening cause its easy to check.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts