TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have this happen? Is there a way to fix this? If you don't know what I am talking about, he is the best way I can describe it: When I use my blinker (left or right, doesn't matter) the voltage guage needle move back and forth about 1/4 of an inch in unison with the blinker. Obviously the blinker is drawing on the system, but why? All the lights work fine and fuses/bulbs are not blowing, so I don't think its a short. Any ideas???

·
Registered
855 Posts
from what i've heard/read/ and seen this seems to be a common "glitch" w/ our cars.....not sure why it does this but it could be because the gauge is too sensitive because if you notice, it will move if you also turn the a/c on,.....or raise and lower the windows. some people have tried changing their bulbs to long life bulbs and have supposedly fixed it, but it's nothing warranting any concern, actually it gives me something to look at when i'm making left turns waiting for the light. o 0 (hmmmmm maybe i should just look at the light, is that thre responsible thing to do?) heheh........as far as i'm concerned (and this is just my opinion) don't worry about it,.......

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
the best solution is to start the car, put it in drive and go somewhere. when you are done doing whatever, get back into the car, start it and drive somewhere else. after that, get back into the car again, start it and drive some other place.

in case you missed the sarcasm, what i mean is that the best solution is to leave it be. in theory you could get a new alternator that would charge better or better battery, but its not worth the hassle, IMHO.

·
Gauge master
884 Posts
Yes, mine does the same thing.

Really want to see the needle move? Just press the window up buttons when the windows are already up. That'll make it take a dive.

It could be that the gauge is too sensitive.

I am not worrying about, so I guess that is my piece of advice too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not worried about it ... just curious if it is fixable and at what cost. Mostly just interested in WHY it does it. Thanks!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I've got that beat. When I first tart he car, the gauge doesn't move. then when I go WOT, it slowly creeps upwards. If I let off before it reaches the correct position it stays there until I go WOT again. If I go WOT until it reaches the correct position, it stays there until I turn the car off.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Voltmeter

Its NORMAL don't worry about it. When we used an accessory it draws power for a moment before the alternator kicks in. I've asked people before about this and this is normal.
Donnie

·
Registered
36 Posts
New bulb fixed it for me

Mine used to do the same thing. When one of my blinker bulbs blew I put it a new bulb and it fixed the problem. My guage still freaks when I used the windows, but the tick tock action is gone.

Sean

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
mine does the same. but HA HA! cancel each direction out by putting the hazard lights on! wont look like a metronome no more!
i enjoy it though. passengers are always amused by it too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine does it, however I dont think it is because the turn signal is creating a draw. If you turn on the left blinker the voltmeter "ticks" down; When you turn on the right blinker the voltmete "ticks" up. So I believe it has more to do with magnetic interferance effecting the voltage guage.

As for the power windows thing, all Fords do that.

~Kris

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
my friend's 91 mercury capri (2nd slowest car ive ever driven) was worse. while sitting still, if you rolled the windows up or down and they were already at their final destination, the whole car would shake like crazy. revs would drops noticeably also. could see the needle in the tach drop.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
my blinker/ voltmeter does the same thing......volts go down when im turning left up when im turning right. And yea it really does jump alot when you hit the window up switch when its already up hehehe. My biggest wierd guage problem is my oil pressure guage..it scared me at first....i got out and looked under the car to make sure i hadnt lost all of my oil overnight...when i got back in and slammed the door the guage immediately went up....its really weird...it usually stays below the L until my tach rises for the first time so i'm pretty sure it does have to do with the magnetic force or somthing like that...usually all i have to do is slam my door once though.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,907 Posts
Yup, I'm there as well. Can't say that it moves a ¼", maybe 2 needle thicknesses at best. When I really noticed it would be at a stoplight, and I'd have the stereo up loud, you could really watch it take a dive then, and the interior lights would dim very noticeably.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
i got a stereo and the crank pulley.. with headlights, blinkers, stereo on, and pushing the window button, i can make my headlights dim.

i made my jeep shut off by doing the same thing :) i had the headlights and the stereo on (car off, accessories on) and pushed all four window buttons and it shut off :)

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Mine does it too, and I thought it was because my alternater was going bad, When it finally did go out, it still did the same thing with a brand new alternater.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Greenbird doesn't have a voltmeter... he's got a WOTmeter!
Dang, that must be some special package my car never got... ?
:2huh:

·
Registered
526 Posts
My voltmeter never reads into the charge zone. I replaced the alternator and battery, and still the same thing. Been driving it over a year without a battery failure. I would think the voltmeter is bad.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts