TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago I replaced my Battery and Alternator. Well, occasionally in the morning while sitting at a light, the volt gauge goes down and the car will die, but it restarts without any issues. Normal accessories are on. Radio and heat.

What could still be causing the drain???

·
Registered
799 Posts
my prob is kinda similar but it doesnt die jus runs rough.. havent made it to have it checked out though..

·
Registered
799 Posts
where did u get ur parts from?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the parts at Carquest.

Yeah, most of the time it'll just sit at a light running rough, but occassionally it craps out. It was doing the same thing before I changed everything.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
2 weeks ago I replaced my Battery and Alternator. Well, occasionally in the morning while sitting at a light, the volt gauge goes down and the car will die, but it restarts without any issues. Normal accessories are on. Radio and heat.

What could still be causing the drain???
your idle rpm might be too low. try giving it a little gas to about 1k rpms and see if it goes back to 13v

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'll try that and see what happens. I just got done replacing the Idle Air Control Motor also.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
700 or so

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
i dont think the voltage is gonna have anything to do with your car dying (unless the alternator is crap)......you're most likely seeing the voltage drop down because the car has stalled out, not the other way around

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No see, putting it in neutral doesnt always help.

I'll be sitting at a light and I'll watch the voltage start to drop and once it gets so far, the car dies, and then starts right back up like nothing happened.

This doesnt happen everyday either. I have noticed if I press the gas a bit while this is happening, the voltage goes back to normal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, this is my 6th Bird and all have had some sort of electrical issue.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
see the whole idle thing makes me think your idling too low. mine idles in neutral around 1k rpms

·
Super Moderator
10,576 Posts
Mine will do this if I end up stuck in traffic with my stereo blasting... and forget to turn it down. It has plenty of power after the amp+car shuts off. :)

If your voltage dies at idle, there's probably some kind of load on the system; if it ain't your stereo, you need to find it, there may be something wrong that can catch on fire.

Check the battery plus wire to the starter; AFAIK it isn't fused, and can touch the exhaust, causing things like this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts