TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after having my 94 for over a month,and spending mucho $ on susp,brakes, motor stuff, audio repair,
and God knows what all, i took it for a few mile jaunt and noticed whenever i turned the signals on
either way, every click from the turn signal brought a corresponding wig wag from the voltage indicator needle.[wow, long
sentence]
wtf.?! i was told to ignore it but i cant. battery is new but i havent checked anything else. you experts have any ideas,
good or bad?

also found out the tires are from 2002. got 4 new ones but was going to put them on some 95 sport appearance wheels.
found 4 remans. the all looked the same design but 3 were for a town car and labelled wrong. cant win for
losing with this car.

·
Super Moderator
5,262 Posts
Yep, totally normal.

There's an increased current drain when the turn signals kick on.

To reduce this drain, you can try replacing them with quality LED units; but to keep cruise, you'll need to put some resistors on them, or on the center high mount stop lights (note: MIGHT not need to, might; if cruise keeps working, don't bother.).

You should also swap out the blinker module for one that's LED rated if you do that.

With that, you'll see a LOT less wiggle with the turn signals, due to the reduced current load and reduced voltage drop.

If this really REALLY bothers you, a 10uF cap across the voltage meter pins polarized properly will get rid of that; but it'll also damp out some possibly critical readings.

1uF to .1uF MAY do the job for you; shucks, .047 might be big enough. I'm not sure, because I've not worried about it.

RwP

·
Registered
1994 XR7 , 46 most every option. 66.000 miles. rustfree, from washington state.
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont remember my first 94 or the 96 doing this. huh! be darned.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts