TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI , I'm Jeremy and I bought a 87 Thunderbird turbo coupe about a week ago . I've been looking at performance mods and seen the volvo head swap, I was curious if anyone knew what differences over stock this would make (HP, torque, MPG, etc.) And how much the total estimated cost would be. I'm currently having a problem with my headlights the lowbeams don't work unless I play with the highbeam control. If anyone can anwser some questions on some problems with the car please pm me. Jeremy

·
Registered
320 Posts
1st off if you want info and I mean real good info on a Volvo 2.3L DOHC swap you should look over at www.turboford.net That is the place for high performance 2.3t stuff. I've looked into the Volvo 2.3 swap. It seems like alot of work for a swap. I do recomend searchikng first over a turboford cause they might just flame you like a well done burnt steak. (Yuck). The cost of the volvo head swap is greatly up to you and your abilities to do work such has welding and such. I'd estimante $1500.00 that is if you farm out most everything for it.
As for you headlights I tell you to get a new Dimmer/multi function switch. Over time the little ball in there wears away the indentation so it won't stay in low beam mode. Or you have the famous over heated cause of a bad conection at the switch problem and the switch had melted inside. Either way you need a new switch. Also durring replacment double check all the connections are nice and tight. Also before you put the covers back on the column turn on the lights and switch between high and low beam while you wiggle the wires going into the back of the switch. Incase you can't tell I've had this problem myself.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes farm everything out means have others do the work. Also llok over at turboford for a bettedr account of the gains from this swap .

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
are you talking about the dohc head?

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
im pretty sure your hp and torque will increase your mpg will prob decrease. i only got into a few conversations about it. i just know its an extensive mod. if i remember correct you need to weld, drill, and tap. so its not for beginners by no means.

·
Registered
214 Posts
the volvo swap is easy, the head runs, about 200, another 150 or so for the welding and that about it, you will have to make a log type manifold, and run megasquirt type stsyem,

my buddy did this on his merkur and he dyno'd 440 at the rear wheels, but he does have a holyset hy35 turbo on there off of a turbo cummings deisel truck

·
Registered
145 Posts
the volvo swap is easy, the head runs, about 200, another 150 or so for the welding and that about it, you will have to make a log type manifold, and run megasquirt type stsyem,

my buddy did this on his merkur and he dyno'd 440 at the rear wheels, but he does have a holyset hy35 turbo on there off of a turbo cummings deisel truck
Are you talking about Colin's XR?

As mentioned above, the PARTS aren't too bad to get ahold of, it's all the fab work required to make them fit. And judging by the original posters posts....he does not have this capability and would have to have the work done....which causes the price to increase by quite a bit.

As I said, there are too many variables in this kind of conversion to give a wide brush-stroke over what the gains/differences would be. No two conversions have even been the same....so how can you say one way or the other? It's all just speculation.

Yes you MAY see power increases if you kept everything else the same if you went from a SOHC to a DOHC. How much? Who knows. All other factors depend on the parts used and the final tune. You could wind up with an engine that gets more hp/tq/mpg if you can tune it properly. You could also wind up with one that's worse.

Honestly the Volvo swap sounds like it's out of your realm of abilities, if not to actually do, but even just to maintain. There are PLENTY of mods for the 2.3T that don't require you to do alot of custom fab work. How are you having trouble VIEWING turboford.org? You can read the entire forum w/o being a member. Also www.turbotbird.com is a good resourse too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The website just would not load on my computer.. I have no idea why not though. Anyhoo the main thing I wanted to know is if the swap is beneficial enough to bother even thinking about it. The O.P. does have a name.
HI , I'm Jeremy and I bought a 87 Thunderbird turbo coupe...
:) Everyone has to learn some where. Its not that I'm new to working on cars either, its just that I have never done something this, for lack of a better word, advanced. I also would not be doing it alone. I would try to 'farm' out the work because I would want it done right by someone who is more capable and knowledgeable, Then by me running up the bill due to an error on my part. :xpwink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
yes, i live next to colin, how u know him?

also there are about 30 others guys on the mekur forum who have done this, i'm in the process of putting mine together as we speak, except i'm going stroker

my 16 year old nephew has done this swap already very easy IMO..

·
5oh Transformer
1,085 Posts
prob means more hp, torque, and fuel econ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.