TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, quick question. I am planning on buying and upgrading a PI engine and installing it in my 'Bird, which currently has the j-mod and 4.10 gears along with a 98 Mark converter. I don't expect to see boost for a while so...

If I buy VT Stage 2 N/A cams, which VT recommends be used with a 2800+ RPM stall converter, could I still use the Mark 'verter or should I have a custom one made? If I can wait until it's back on the road and driving to get the converter, then I'd like to because I may change gears again hence requiring a restall.

TIA :D

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Stage 2 cams are going to need about 3200 stall or more. to run properly. it will bog a little on takeoff otherwise. I suggest at the least 3.73 gears as well. If you want my suggestion on converter stall I'm going to say 4200.
Alan

·
Registered
86 Posts
dirtyd0g said:
Stage 2 cams are going to need about 3200 stall or more. to run properly. it will bog a little on takeoff otherwise. I suggest at the least 3.73 gears as well. If you want my suggestion on converter stall I'm going to say 4200.
Alan
I'll second that stall speed!

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I've never driven anything with stall that high. :rolleyes: I know I'll have lockup for cruising, but will it still be enjoyable on the street, like when pulling away from a light? I drive rather spirited, so light throttle is not something I use when accelerating, although I don't want to have to go wot to do it either, lol.:)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
hotbird said:
Ok, I've never driven anything with stall that high. :rolleyes: I know I'll have lockup for cruising, but will it still be enjoyable on the street, like when pulling away from a light? I drive rather spirited, so light throttle is not something I use when accelerating, although I don't want to have to go wot to do it either, lol.:)
You'll be surprised at how well a good converter in these transmissions feels on the street. I daily drive a 3500 currently and sometime this year I will increase that and put the 3500 in my wifes car for her to use.
Alan

·
Registered
86 Posts
I daily drive my 4200 stall as well. It can be a bit tricky on wet roads, but just use common sense and you'll have no issues even driving in the rain.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good to hear. Once I'm sure these cams are what I'm going to want, I'll contact the appropriate person for the converter. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts