TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting another trans in this German turd that was given to us, so I went the VW STEALERSHIP to get some tranny fluid and a new filter with and a pan gasket. I tell the man at the counter what I need. He looks in his computer and says, "We have to order the filter, but we carry the pan gasket." He walks back to the parts room and retrieves the gasket, "This is $60.xx, and it's not a reusable gasket."

I look him dead in the eye; "You're ****tin' me, right?"

Parts guy: "No, they're awfully proud of that thing aren't they?"

Me: "You're not kidding!!!"

Parts guy: "The filter is $86.xx and it will be here on Thursday."

Me: Jeezil Pete man, how much is the ATF, $50 a quart?"

Parts guy: "No, it's $24.95 a liter."

Me::eek:

Parts guy: This is actually the cheapest fluid we stock right now. The 'fix' fluid for the auto is like $150 a liter."

Me: "What the hell makes you guys want to work on these things?"

All three parts guys in unison: *laughter*

Me: "How many liters does this thing hold?"

Parts guy: "About 7 or 8"

... ... ...

The conversation got worse after he said, "The total is.."

All told, it was $295 just to change the damn tranny fluid!!! And that's after a 15% discount they gave me that saved me $48!!

I will no longer gripe about paying $3.59 a quart for Mercon V from the Ford dealer, even if I use twice as much. We never should have gone to go get this car when it was given to us. In closing, imports suck. That is my opinion, and I don't care if you like it or not.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
ahaha, after that story i no realize how goos we have it for working on our cars. i never liked audi or vw and this just etches it in stone lol.....unless its like a new audi r8 or whatever its called, but i dont wanna know what it costs to work on those.

sorry to hear about this man.....i say sell it lol

·
Registered
484 Posts
you said you were putting in "another" trans in. so im sure you allready know that you also need to have a special bit to get the axels unbolted from the trans

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you said you were putting in "another" trans in. so im sure you allready know that you also need to have a special bit to get the axels unbolted from the trans
10mm12-pt triple square. The head bolts also take a special $30 tool. This stupid thing has so many allen head, star bit and other specialty fasteners it's ridiculous. I'll take a regular hex head bolt any day of the week. The round head of the specialty bolts makes them a ***** to get out if you strip the part where the bit engages. It has happened more than once already. Hard to get vicegrips not to slip, if you can even use them in the tight spaces.

One of my mom's friends from work had to take her Beetle to the stealership to replace a headlight bulb because apparently you have to remove either the headlamp or the bumper in order to access it (I don't remember exactly what she said). She said it cost her $150, and I believe it was a regular halogen bulb.

The other thing I tell people is that I like that you can take the front of the car apart to work on the front of the engine. I don't like that you HAVE to take the front of the car apart to work on the engine.

Greenbird--I might try the Merc V if I wasn't so unwilling to do this job again. I don't want to take any chances with this thing not working.

-Rob

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I heard there are new VW's that have oil filters which cost upwards of $30.00. I don't know the frequency between oil changes but that is a little bit more than I would care to spend.
price a diesel filter , nuf said

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
lol now you guys have scared me, my work beater is the wife's 99 beetle, hehe, has held up pretty well against my size 13, now watch it'll prolly fall apart now that i done said this, hehe

·
Registered
15 Posts
You guys need to price an intake to head gasket for a 750 BMW(91), or spark plug wires for the same. Gaskets=500$, wires=1100$ for all 14 of them. I find it kinda amusing to hear Ford guys criticizing vw tranny's...:)

·
Registered
189 Posts
You guys need to price an intake to head gasket for a 750 BMW(91), or spark plug wires for the same. Gaskets=500$, wires=1100$ for all 14 of them. I find it kinda amusing to hear Ford guys criticizing vw tranny's...:)
The wire set lists for $392.95 at my dealership ... the complete set. You can get them under $300 easy all over the net.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Not VW...but I remember when my friend was looking for an OEM headlight assembly for his RSX-S...I'm pretty sure it was around $800.
My Audi's headlamp assy lists at $1250 per side.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts