TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ..... after pissing money away on that Windstar that I bought for a 'family car' I'm making the executive decision that it's going. The damn thing has been sitting in the driveway more down than up and running.

First off.... Looking for a bigger family vehicle, we bought it before we had our 3rd daughter not knowing how much room there really is inside the wagon for 3 carseats. I took the bird off the road, took the wagon for myself and the van was the wife's to drive. It's been a non-stop money pit. I drove it for about a month with no issues, then the **** hit the fan.

First the tires needed to be replaced..... not a big deal cause I knew that when I bought it, then I come to find out that the front drivers hub and bearing need to be replaced. I replaced the struts and shocks because with 155K on it, they were getting spongy and I figured I wanted it to be safe. It needs to have to an alignment, trans service, coolant flush, yadda yadda yadda.

Then, it started leaking coolant. Come to find out that the lower intake manifold gasket was leaking oil and coolant, however they did not mix amazingly...... did it and it was fine for 4 days. Took it for a 50 mile trip and it was fine. 2 days later, after a 1 mile trip it's leaking again . I'm not sure where the leak is coming from now, nor do I care to look for it.... I told my wife that when I did the LIMG that if ANYTHING else goes wrong it's gone. I didnt care if it was a hole in a break like that all I needed to replace was a 1" section costing $5.........

There comes a time to cut your losses and now is the time. The wagon has proved itself the family hauler since we had our daughter in October(it had to pick up the slack because of the INOP van) and we have taken it on multiple 200+ mile trips with no issues so the van is going to be sold, my Tbird is going back on the road for me and the wagon is going back to my wife as the family car.

Today I put the Tbird wheels/tires back on it, put my cd radio back in it, cleaned it out(although it needs to be washed something fierce) and got it all ready for tomorrow so I'm happy that I'm going to be driving it again. RWD v8 > fwd v6(although the duratec does have balls) any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And she's back on the road :D

Definately have to take her to the car wash cause it's freezing up here today, I'm sick and she needs a bath from sitting the 3 months she's been off the road.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Reminds me of the 2000 Honda Odyssey sitting in my driveway, waiting for me to get it into the garage to pull the tranny, so Allan can get the convertor and rebuild it, and I can throw the entire Sonnax catalog at the valve body.

Oh yeah, it's only got 103K on it. IF this fixes it, I can't decide whether to tempt fate and keep it, or buy a 1964 or 1965 Falcon wagon to let my wife drive, that way if something fails electronically, I've only got maybe three places to look. I bought this Ody because it wasn't supposed to have the transmission problems of the 2002-up Odysseys....however, come to find out, only the 2004 had less rampant transmission failures; the rest are garbage, and Honda still hasn't fixed the problem.

In short, Honda can't build an automatic transmission to save their lives.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I took her to the doctors office :thumbsup:

Other than 'knocking the dust(or rust:rolleyes:) off that thang' she's just as I remembered. Little clunk in the rear which is endlinks. I contacted Rockauto about that and I'm getting them covered under warranty. Other than that the fun can begin again.............. after it gets warm here again. Right now it's 25* with a wind chill in the low teens ...... bbrrrrrrr.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts