TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've decided to just save up my money and do an engine swap for my first mod. I plan on going with the 02 Mountaineer/Explorer motor and get a rebuilt transmission from Dennis at the same time. My question is, what little mods would still work with my new set up? I'd like to end up putting a supercharger on, but as far as things like headers, exhaust, MAF, chip, what would still work?

I read the 02 threads, but I didn't find too much on what people could still use. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Get a set of Kook's,02 starter,alternator,pullies while your there. And maybe and new radiator/hoses and trans cooler$1200 that's a start.:cbones:

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
You can if you want to! :)

How long until you get blown though?

I plan on getting blown, yet I'll buy some pullies and sell them when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Everything you mentioned should work fine. The chip "should" get reprogrammed. But I believe TimB had a chip before the swap and after it was working fine. He did get it re-tuned though.
For tuning, I believe FordChip did TimBs and they are doing my buddy Larry's this coming week. So they will have had at least a couple 02 explorer motor tunes under their belt.
Larry hooked up the JBA's. They fit fine. So any other header that works on a stock tbird 4.6 engine should work with that too.
MAF would be in the chip dept. Just let them know which one. But the intake tube setup or whatever you have will be different. I think the explorer one comes with a tube that should work.

good luck
-Shawn

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Actually at the moment I am still running the origional calibration but I will get it tuned when ford chip comes to town for the dyno session. Aaron ran for the first month or so on his stock EEC no chip and ran just fine also....for that matter he beat me at the strip.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Jeremiah said:
If you do decide to do the swap, let me know! I would love to come help put that beast in!
Me too! And I'm just across town. :)

What about the tranny cooler like Flabird mentioned? Or a remote oil filter kit? I just did both of these not too long ago, seems like they'd work for a new engine/trans. Shouldn't be over $100 combined, either.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you serious? You would really help?! I would love to get help from a fellow TCCOA'er and not have to go to some mechanic! Even though my status says 2nd gear poster, I might as well still be in Power Wheels. I don't know very much about cars at all, but hanging out at TCCOA has really helped. Jeremiah, if you really are interested, I will keep you updated. I should have the motor by December, so we'll definitely keep in contact. But everything I mentioned should work but the intake tube? If I am planning on doing all of this, should I not order Richard's intake tube?

·
Registered
134 Posts
May as well order the tube. Come December, there'll be plenty of people wanting one, like there always is. :) I'm sure you'd have no problem selling it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah i am really interested! I am not going to have all the spare time in the world but there will be plenty to help someone put a nice 02 4.6 into a t-bird. If you plan on doing that in december/january, hope you got a garge with some heaters! Hell, I have a propane heater (one of those big blowers that look like mini jets) that we could use if you provide the propan :D Keep me updated!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is what the world needs. Helpful MN-12 owners. If I were old enough, I'd provide you with fine liquor. For the time being, I can only ask one question. Diet or regular?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts