TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am so frustrated with the one of 3 walmart here in town. i took my bird to them to get the oil changed on the 28th of march. so i havent drove my bird for 2 weekes and when i went to start it up a couple of days ago i heard a loufd grinding sound. so i reported it to them and the had me fill out a complaint form, and came to my house checked it out and there was an fresh oil spot, and they filled me up told me to come to the shop and they would redo the job. so here idsthe
question i have "it has quieted down a little, and they gave me a 25 dollar gift card to satisfy me". could there be engine damage or not. i have got 3 quotes so far from 1890.00 as far as 4900.00 bucks, the most expensive is the dealer which i figured, what do i do. a buddy of mine said he can fix it for me. do i fix it and whaterver is left spend it on the bird or what.

can you guys give me some insight.
flybird.

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
If the engine was making a grinding noise, it is done and needs to be rebuilt. Don't let the fact that it quieted down fool you. I would suggest you get what you can from wal-mart as compensation, buy a PI motor to replace your existing one, and learn the valuable lesson of not trusting anyone to work on your car.

·
Super Moderator
12,083 Posts
If they hadn't put the oil back in at the store you would have known immediatly!

How did you get the car home?
Did it run smooth on the drive home?
Do you think they under filled the car when they refilled the oil?
May be they didn't get the drain plug or filter on tightly enough and the oil leaked out on the way home or in your driveway or garage?

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
They probably either left the drain plug loose or double-gasketed the filter. He said there was a puddle of oil under his car, so it must have leaked out of somewhere.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
if it is still making odd noises the motor is screwed, contact the lube manager or district manager and tell them the issues your having.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
like the other guys said...it makes no sense.....why take it to wal-mart when you can do it yourself?......you dont need more than 1 parking space to do it, and all of 20minutes or less.....i work two jobs and take 5 classes and still manage to do all my own work on my car

also since you said "a buddy of mine said he can fix it for me. do i fix it and whaterver is left spend it on the bird or what."

what exactly is "it"?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
How bad is the noise? Where is it coming from? Did it make the noise on the way home from Fart-Mart? Where did it leak out from? Ask them where it leaked from. If it is they're problem, then your gonna need a lawyer to sue them. Then you can get a rebuilt motor and install it.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
After several issues with mechanics years ago, I went to the library and started learning how to work on my own car (except alignments). Even when I got new tires from Costco, I took the tires off my car, threw them in the truck and drove them down to Costco and had them replace them that way.

I have little faith in mechanics anymore. "Get it in, get it fixed (whether it's right or not) and get it out..."

I'm even reluctant to take my Town Car in for a recall on the speed control.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
:eek: You let walmart "the king of discount stores" work on your car?

I would tell them straight up: you're fixing this to my satisfaction, now, or I am suing you. End of story.

Then get them to pay you the cost of a PI swap and be done with them forever.

·
one in a million
146 Posts
I would not accept anything from wal-mart "25 dollar gift card" without talking to a legal assistant first... IMO

Good luck tho with what ever happens..

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
fyi you accepted hush money

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i usually change the oil myself, but i thought id try them out. also the engine has quieted down but im still hearing it a little. someone told me i can still have engine damage. also a buddy of mine has worked on cars for 30 plus years and he told me to get the money from them , then turn around he will help me with the problem and whatever is left, put it into the bird.

flybird

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sounds to me like the best excuse for a PI swap ever. Not to mention it's paid for by wal-mart. I'd say have a mechanic figure out exactly what the problem is and what the cause was and verify that walmart is at fault. Above all else, make sure you get a lawyer to go with you. As clean of a bird as you have (minus the wing and fake hood scoop) it would be a real shame to see it in the junkyard solely because walmart screwed up something as simple as changing the oil.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You are not telling us what happened. When they removed the oil filter, did the O-ring gasket stick to the adapter and then they put the new filter on top of it? I have seen this before.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
sucks man but my 92 5.0 was a victim of a similar incident, the old lady that owned the car before me took it to 5 min oil change to get the oil changed. they supposily changed the oil and when she left she heard it was making a loud clanking noise. she drove it straight to the dealership and they told her she had thrown the main bearing and they quoted her $4500 to rebuilt the engine. she drove the car home and parked it, 2 weeks later she put a for sale sign on it and i purchased the car for $500 w/ 108k miles and the back seat had never been sat in. she was the original owner and ordered the car to her liking back in 92. car was recently repainted 6 months to me purchasing it and had the suspension redone at ford less than a year before i got it. she also had the a/c system redone less than a year before i bought it. car was in mint shape with all service being done by ford and the interior was flawless.

anyway, i put oil in it and it fired right up first time every time. the fools at the oil change place simply forgot to put oil in it. i was lucky, even though she drove the car approx 3 miles with no oil in it whatsoever. it didn't damage the engine enuff for the rings to leak. it didn't leak oil at all, didn't even loose oil between changes.

i raced it for a year never lost, raced a 95 4.6 bird, 2k integra w/ motor swap, and a 02 ls1 camaro with a slipping auto trany :) in july of 07 i hydrolocked the motor by driving through a puddle of water with my bumper mounted cold air intake :(

swapped out the 5.0 for a 351w :)
now the car has bigg plans

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I'd get a lawyer and see what they say. You'll have to take it to a reputible mech to have it checked out. Then they will go from there. Never take it to Wal Mart or any other place for that matter. If you have to for some reason, then double check all their work. Like when they change my wifes oil. I check it every time. Pisses them off. I don't trust them. She has lifetime oil changes. So I know some thing is up with that.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts