TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok look my last run of the season was a 9.52 in the 1/8 mile, dont do the quater because there isnt 1 around here.im looking to shave a full sec. at least off my time. a lot of my probs come from my rt's im a rookie on the strip and the best light i cut was a .599 but on avrage its like a .752 or even a .973 :bangwall: however i am getting better there since the beggning of last season.what i need to know what kinda mods i need to make to get the full sec. off my time? maby a trickflow or an edelbrock intake, a computer chip, injectors?? and about how much money r we looking at? tax season is comming up so i can afford a little then. and also my 3.8 that spun a barring is getting a 302 swap soon all strait wired with as few elertonics as possible on it. carbbed of course im thinking bout a 650 4 bbl.what would be the best tranny and rear gears for this overhaul?

as always u guys help is apperciated not sure if this is in the right thread butnone the less i could use the advice...tnx again guys :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
something else i thought i would inform u guys of. the new ss impalas with the
305hp v8 in them are not faster than the 4.6 birds i raced 1 last night and if it wasnt for the 10mph cutoff on the speedo i would have passed him he had a
120mph cutoff on it but it stayed stalled long enuff for me to catch up to him befor it kicked in and he took off again and i shut down again;) . and the charger hemi didnt stand a chance i blew by him at 105 in about a 120* turn and i was still ganing speed and his shut off had to be under 110mph because he didnt catch back up to me and belive me when i tell u this he was givin her hell. maby if i had a chip to remove the restriction i would have beat the impala.

and btw these races were on the inerstate from about a 75mph punch.im sure the impala will get u off the line but in not sure about the hemi charger.so if ur in ur 4.6 cat or chicken dont be scared show em what u got:zdevil:

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
If you want to shave a second off your time, there are 4 things that will virtually guarantee it.

High Stall Converter -- 3200-3500
4.11 Gears
J-Mod
Sticky Tires

You can do lots of other little things that might help, but those are pre-requisites. Without those, not much you do will give you enough change.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok i got another good tranny i can do the j-mod on if its the same its out of my 89 3.8 i got a 95 4.6 do they have the same trannys? and on the gears i was thinking .373 i still want to get a little better gas on the highway i got a buddy that works at a tire / exaust shop workin on the tires and hes telling me to go with a 14" on the rear to while racing to give me a better gear. and with the 3200-3500 stall should be ok with the j-mod since it uses a tranny cooler right i dont want to generate too much heat and burn it up.and u really think i can shave a second off my time with no engine mods? and 1 other thing i would like the prints on how u turbo charged your 97 and will i have to rebulid my heads to do so or can u do it with stock heads? i was thinking of a twin turbo set up by getting a couple of turbos off a TC and fabricating some brackets has anyone tried this and will it work. or would it be best to go with say a saleen supercharger??
and as always i apperciate ur input on these matters sir willam. and also how much $$ am i looking at with the j-mod?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, here's my advice, I usually stay "under wraps" when it comes to posting here...but I do know that a 89 tranny is a AOD which won't fit your 4.6 which uses a 4R70W...but if you're smart and want to do it right the first time, save your $$$ then go look for a used 99+ transmission from a mustang, they are a lot stronger than the 95's...I believe you swap your 95 TCC solenoid into the 99 and perhaps some wiring...95 heads and intake are really not the best flowing either, 96-97 are an option as opposed to PI heads 99-04, if you're on a budget. J-mod is a DIY job if you read the articles, or if you have a friend that knows what he's doing, a couple of beers "might" cover the labor....it takes time, money, and lots of patience to get these cars to where we want them to be. But I hope everything works out for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts