TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm getting ready to buy the PI cams from Traveler. I want to do the swap with out taking off the timing cover. I'll have an extra set of hands to work with when I do this swap. The one question I have is, is it realistically possible to do this swap with out the special cam tool? These cams are the bolt on sprocket, Romeo PI cams. Also, does anyone know where I can find a good write up on this procedure? The link that goes to the article on Modular Depot, that I've found searching, no longer goes to the article. I just want this to go a smoothly as possible. Another thing is, where can I find the correct cam sprocket bolts for the PI cams? The most work I've ever done on these mod motors was to replace a thermostat, so my experience is very limited. Thanks!

·
5,650 Posts
It's very possible without removing the front cover. Can't help with a good write-up article, but you'll basically pop off all the followers, compress the tensioner by prying against it (carefully), unbolt and remove the sprocket from the cam (without removing the gear from the chain!), and then remove the cam. You'll install the new by doing the reverse, installing the new cam so that it lines up with the gear.

The different between Romeo and Windsor cams is that Romeo gears will bolt on; Windsor gears are pressed on.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Good to know thanks kinda off topic don't wanna Jack this thread but if I have npi heads ported to pi what do I have to install the pi intake thanks and sorry

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The followers, how exactly do they pop off? Also, what would I use to keep the tensioner compressed? Could this be done by someone pulling up on the cam gear, keeping tension on the chain long enough for me to put the new cams in or would there be too much resistance? Pics, if any/ possible, would be a great help so I know what to look for.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I've done it both ways... Trust me, its worth the extra time to remove the timing cover. It is easier and less stressful in the long run, plus you can inspect the chains, tensioners and guides for wear.

PS When everything is bolted together, be SURE to torque the cam sprocket bolts down to 90 lbs-ft... A loose sprocket bolt cost me a new head. Well actually a set of heads... since I had to replace the heads anyway, I installed PI heads. But as you're a "poor college student" (been there myself) you may just want to make sure everything is torqued correctly.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done it both ways... Trust me, its worth the extra time to remove the timing cover. It is easier and less stressful in the long run, plus you can inspect the chains, tensioners and guides for wear.

PS When everything is bolted together, be SURE to torque the cam sprocket bolts down to 90 lbs-ft... A loose sprocket bolt cost me a new head. Well actually a set of heads... since I had to replace the heads anyway, I installed PI heads. But as you're a "poor college student" (been there myself) you may just want to make sure everything is torqued correctly.
Thankfully, I do have a working torque wrench. I plan on putting some Loctite on the bolt threads to avoid back out. I really don't want to take off the front cover if I don't have to. The only tool I don't have is the cam tool that some people use.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what hand tool would be best for compressing the chain tensioner? A flat head screw driver with a long shaft? trying to work with what I have.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
You really shouldn't need any special tools unless you plan to degree the motor, a couple small piece of wire to hold the tensioners in and a good vice to bleed down the lash adjusters. I prefer to remove the cover, good time to install a 1 piece crank pulley, The trick flow lower pulley seems to work quite nicely as well and considerably cheaper than the failure prone upper cam gears.
Alan

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You really shouldn't need any special tools unless you plan to degree the motor, a couple small piece of wire to hold the tensioners in and a good vice to bleed down the lash adjusters. I prefer to remove the cover, good time to install a 1 piece crank pulley, The trick flow lower pulley seems to work quite nicely as well and considerably cheaper than the failure prone upper cam gears.
Alan
I'm still trying to avoid removing the timing cover. I assume popping off the rocker arms is absolutely necessary?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I'm still trying to avoid removing the timing cover. I assume popping off the rocker arms is absolutely necessary?
yes...they are under constant tension, thus putting constant upward & rotational tension on the camshaft itself....the last thing you want is for the followers to rotate the camshaft suddenly as you're pulling the cam gear off it

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes...they are under constant tension, thus putting constant upward & rotational tension on the camshaft itself....the last thing you want is for the followers to rotate the camshaft suddenly as you're pulling the cam gear off it
Ah, that makes sense. Now I understand.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm actually in a toss up if I really want to remove the front cover. At least I have the Ford repair manual to work off of. I think I'll make a trip to Pick n Pull to make myself more acquainted with the front of the 4.6. The only thing that keeps me from wanting to take the front cover off is I'd have to pull the harmonic balancer. How much tension does the chain tensioner put out?

edit: I think I'm going to order that tool so I can perform this with the timing cover on. I'll just have to wait a week or two before I do this.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
There is a bunch of forum threads printed out that came with my car - I will find and link to them tonight or maybe Kyle remembers - the info Is quite detailed

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
I managed to do the swap neither removing the timing cover nor using any specialty tools. Not letting the chains budge is key; 10,000 miles since the swap and nothing out of the ordinary. I wouldn't recommend it because there are risks, but it is possible.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I'm still trying to avoid removing the timing cover.
Then you're avoiding the proper way to do it. Doing it without removing the cover is a risky thing, and it's really not hard at all to go ahead and pull the cover and do it the right way.
If you're trying to avoid removing the front cover, I think you should also avoid removing the valve covers and just leave it alone.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts