TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some files off a hard drive (music and some other stuff...) but the hard drive has many errors and wont let me install anything (like a external cd burner) my question is i know that i can plug this hard drive into my other computer to get the files but does anyone know how to do this pictures would be helpful...
thanks
-Brendan

·
Registered
161 Posts
If the drive isn't totally corrupted, you can connect it as a slave drive. To do this, take a look at the hard drive you want to get the files off of. usually in the middle on the drive there is a small bank of pins with a small plastic piece stuck in there. This is a Jumper. Depending on what kind of drive it is, you will have to either reposition it or totally remove it. There is usually a diagram on the top of the drive that will tell you where to position the jumper to let the computer know that the hard drive is not the main bootable drive, called a slave. Open up your computer now and look at the Hard Drive in there. depending on how your computer is configured you might have to pull the jumper off that Hard drive as well, and reposition it according to the diagram on that Harddrive according to whever the Master setting is. then look at the gray ribbon the connects the HD to the motherboard. there should be another spot to connect a HD, connect it and start the computer. it should display 2 drives now and you should be able to se it in my computer and get whatever you need off of it. I'll see if I can dig up some pictures if you're still confused

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm interesting... yteah pictures would help
thanks
-Brendan

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok, here we go

This is what I was talking about concerning the Jumpers. This is a picture of the master HD on my computer, note the jumper position.

At the very bottom is the diagram I was talking about, sorry it's so blurry, my digicam is a POS. This tells you how to position the jumper in order to designate the HD A master or a slave. The slave disk on my system just required you to take the jumper off and that was it, but again, it varies depending on make/model

This is the IDE cable that connects it to the mainboard. The connector on the end usually goes to the master disk, and the second connector (the gray one) usually connects the slave

This is what you want to look for when you start the computer, Look for a "Primary Master" and "Primary Slave"
Hope this helps a little bit

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
first off thannks the pictures were a real help, i have a couple of questions... i hvae to buy the jumper correct?... its not in the computer somewhere and my second question is do i hook the jumper to the same ports on the hard drives? (the one u have circled?)
thanks again

·
Registered
386 Posts
The jumper should be already in the jumper bank in the hard drive, as circled. Simply pull the jumper out and place it on the desired pins, according to the diagram on the label of the hard drive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
If the jumper isn't in the hard drive, you should be able to get a bag of them at any computer store, they're pretty cheap. DO NOT try and take any jumpers off the Motherboard, you'll cause more touble than it's worth

1 - 8 of 8 Posts