TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Eveyone!
I love my LX, the factory 15” wheels leave a lot to be desired when it comes to looks and handling.

I have searched the forums and web regarding what wheels are available with the 5x108 bolt pattern and 63.4mm hub size. Also, something close to the 39mm factory offset so the wheels don’t tuck in too much in the wheel wells.

So far, the best wheel (non aftermarket) is from the Jaguar XF and XJ series, and possibly others from Jaguar. Same bolt pattern, same center hub size, but the offset is 49mm, so I think some spacers are in order, at least 10mm or more.

The other option is to redrill my rear hubs and go with SN95 front hubs in order to run Mustang 5x4.5” wheels.

I know the selection for Mustang wheels is much larger, but I really like the S550 Mustang wheels, but still like the Jag wheels too.

Anyone ever run Jag wheels? I am not sure which way to go here..

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1995 Mercury cougar xr7
32 Posts
Hey Eveyone!
I love my LX, the factory 15” wheels leave a lot to be desired when it comes to looks and handling.

I have searched the forums and web regarding what wheels are available with the 5x108 bolt pattern and 63.4mm hub size. Also, something close to the 39mm factory offset so the wheels don’t tuck in too much in the wheel wells.

So far, the best wheel (non aftermarket) is from the Jaguar XF and XJ series, and possibly others from Jaguar. Same bolt pattern, same center hub size, but the offset is 49mm, so I think some spacers are in order, at least 10mm or more.

The other option is to redrill my rear hubs and go with SN95 front hubs in order to run Mustang 5x4.5” wheels.

I know the selection for Mustang wheels is much larger, but I really like the S550 Mustang wheels, but still like the Jag wheels too.

Anyone ever run Jag wheels? I am not sure which way to go here..

Thanks in advance!
I like the hubswap myself. With the mustang 5x4.5 your options are about endless. Get the sn95 fronts and the rear cobra hubs from full tilt boogie racing with new wheel bearings. I used their hubs and they are very nice, half the price of the ford pieces too.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
There's a guy that posted his T-Bird with Lincoln MK-VIII swapped interior on Jaguar wheels. The car was murdered out, and it was hella slick.

The post is about a year old, maybe two, so finding it should be somewhat easier.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,491 Posts
Newer Mustang offsets are pretty close to these so I highly recommend the bolt pattern swap, I have 19x9” +42 2011-2014 “Brembo” wheels on my Cougar. Be warned though, a 9” wheel is as wide as you can fit up front due to the spindle, and a few of the factory and aftermarket S197 and S550 wheels are 9.5” wide. Even with my 9” wheels I had to use spacers for the wheel weight to clear they’re so close, and they’re right up to the edge of the fender.

I love the look of 19” wheels on these but for outright handling the size edges a little past the point of diminishing returns with their weight unless you choose a forged option, and (I think?) the only factory wheels that are forged are Shelby’s with 9.5” widths

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Newer Mustang offsets are pretty close to these so I highly recommend the bolt pattern swap, I have 19x9” +42 2011-2014 “Brembo” wheels on my Cougar. Be warned though, a 9” wheel is as wide as you can fit up front due to the spindle, and a few of the factory and aftermarket S197 and S550 wheels are 9.5” wide. Even with my 9” wheels I had to use spacers for the wheel weight to clear they’re so close, and they’re right up to the edge of the fender.

View attachment 44509

I love the look of 19” wheels on these but for outright handling the size edges a little past the point of diminishing returns with their weight unless you choose a forged option, and (I think?) the only factory wheels that are forged are Shelby’s with 9.5” widths

That looks sharp!! What is the offset of the S550 wheels? As for handling, I am not looking for anything crazy, as mine is just a daily driver, but I know that pretty much anything I do to the suspension as far as firming it up a bit will go a long way. The factory 15" wheels are like balloons compare to most modern wheel / tire combos.

For yours, on the back, did you re-drill or go with the Cobra rears? If re-drill, do the hubs have to come off the car?

Thanks everyone!

·
Administrator
19,491 Posts
They seem to have either a little more offset than late S197s or a lot less depending on the wheel, seems to vary a lot based on rim width - the 18x8” base GT wheel is +40, but the 19x9” performance pack wheel is +45, the 19x8.5” 50th anniversary wheel has + 42.5 and the 18+ 19x9.5” performance pack wheel is +25.5

Luckily Ford casts the offset in the backsides of the spokes so if you stay OEM you’ll be able to find what it has before you buy.

And thanks! I hubswapped using real Cobra rear hubs, if I did it today I’d use the full tilt boogie ones instead. If you go the redrill route there’s a fixture I’ve seen people use to redrill them on vehicle

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you fir the info! regarding the front hubs, is there a particular year to get them for from the Mustang? how about the ABS? will it still work? thanks!

·
Registered
94 Thunderbird
36 Posts
Man, that is awesome! Who makes those wheels and what size wheel / tire are they?
Thanks! They are Saleen Speedstar replicas, I got them off of americanmuscle.com
They are 18x10 in the rear with 275/40/18 and 18x9 in the front with 245/45/18. all wheels are 30mm backspacing.
Tires are General Gmax RS

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! They are Saleen Speedstar replicas, I got them off of americanmuscle.com
They are 18x10 in the rear with 275/40/18 and 18x9 in the front with 245/45/18. all wheels are 30mm backspacing.
Tires are General Gmax RS
Whoa! That is some serious footprint on the road! Any clearance issues at all? How much is it lowers and with what springs?

·
Registered
94 Thunderbird
36 Posts
Whoa! That is some serious footprint on the road! Any clearance issues at all? How much is it lowers and with what springs?
No clearance issues at all.
it is lowered 1.5" with eibach springs, I cut one coil from the front, and half a coil cut in the rear.

·
Registered
44 Posts

View attachment 44509

I'm going to put 245-45-18 on 09 mustang wheels 18x8.5 +50 6.7'' rs. What size spacer did you run up front ? I'm thinking a 1/4'' to 3/8'' spacer maybe ?

·
Administrator
19,491 Posts
I'm going to put 245-45-18 on 09 mustang wheels 18x8.5 +50 6.7'' rs. What size spacer did you run up front ? I'm thinking a 1/4'' to 3/8'' spacer maybe ?
I used 1/4” but it was only to clear the wheel weight already on them, I probably could have used 1/8” spacers in hindsight. With the +50mm Mustang wheels I’d get longer studs and use either a 3/8” or 1/2” hubcentric spacer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts