TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a motorcycle primarily to save on gas and to make parking easier at school. I don't know anyone with a motorcycle so I'm kinda on my own and want some information about them first.

What would be a good cheap starter bike? I don't want nothing fast, but I don't want a scooter either. I don't really know the difference between anything, but this is at least the style of bike I'm looking at.

How much should I expect to pay for insurance? I'm 18, have nothing on my record, would state my thunderbird as my primary, I'd probably still be on my parents policy. So how much extra per year should I expect to pay?

Where do you take a motorcycle for repairs and maintenance? Or is most of the stuff really easy to work on?

Currently I have a 2 car garage and 3 cars. A Honda Civic that parks at the end of the driveway, A Honda CR-V that parks on the left side of the garage (with the most space and next the main door into the house) and my Thunderbird one the right side with a refrigerator in front of it and a small set of 3 stairs in front of it leading into the laundry room/other door into the house. Do you think a motorcycle would also fit in the garage? The Thunderbird barley fits length wise, but there is plenty of room in front of the CR-V. I guess I'm just not quite sure how much room a motorcycle would take up.

What is evolved with registering the bike? Is it pretty much the same as a car? How about getting a license, any things that are unusually different than getting a car license?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Do you do any highway driving? (or will you)

http://www.progressive.com (as well as others) and get a quote on motorcycle insurance. It's free and no obligation.

Most repairs you can do yourself with the right tools of course. It depends on how involved you want to get. Once you buy the bike you want, get a good service manual for it. Somethings like forks might require the help of a friend. You could lose some teeth if you don't know what your doing.

As for fitting in the garage, that depends on the bike you end up getting. I have an 81 Yamaha XS 650 and a 2 car garage. Both our cars and motorcycle can fit next to each other with room to barely open the doors. I can park the bike in front of my car though.

Registering a bike should be no different than a car but again, depends on where you live. Some places do not require insurance on a bike. Best place to go for information on that would be your state's home page or motor vehicles web site.

There are different thoughts on getting a license. I went to a "motorcycle school" to get my license. I learned quite a bit about handling and safety.

Edit: The "license" in Florida is nothing more than a "Motorcycle Also" added to my current vehicle license.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Remember in an accident, the bike always looses.
Too many to tell storiesof guys who wreck their bike the first day they have it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Ditto to speed95.
Think of it this way, nobody sees you because nobody is looking for you and always be on guard. I started riding when I was 40 and have been riding for eight years. I have been in an accident with another vehicle but I have dropped the bike a couple times.

Consider buying an older, cheap bike for your first bike because you'll dump it. After you mastered riding then you can upgrade to a newer bike.

WEAR A HELMET!!! even if state laws permits no helmets.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Consider buying an older, cheap bike for your first bike because you'll dump it. After you mastered riding then you can upgrade to a newer bike.

WEAR A HELMET!!! even if state laws permits no helmets.
yep...there are two types of bike riders...

those who have.....

and those who will

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm looking at spending no more than $1,500 on the bike, and it's a law in NE to ear a helmet, which I would wear any ways. I emailed the DMV today because the drivers manual is confusing when it comes to what you need to do to get a class m license.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
The most important thing to remember is:

Bikes are Invisible!

Every idiot you have an incident with is going to say "I didn't see you" , regardless of how loud your pipes are, the color of your bike, whatever. You could be wearing a technicolor Bozo the Clown outfit, and they would say that.

Cellphones haven't helped any. Or Oxycontin... I lost a friend this year over some overmedicated ***** who pulled directly into traffic; one dead, one wounded; and she didn't know there was a problem... the half of her car that didn't kill Keith wiped out another friend who was 50 yards behind him. (Rot in hell you sorry *****!)

Sorry.

The problem with bikes are mostly other drivers, and a few idiot riders. Those are self-curing; one good problem either makes them cautious, or they give up riding. (and several square feet of skin...)

My advice is to buy a dirt bike, ride it for a few years to get the reflexes you need to survive, then get a street bike. That way 'learning incidents' aren't extremely painful or fatal. Mud >> pavement, IMHO.

I have lost friends off road, so nothing is safe; there just aren't as many opportunities to die per mile.

Anyone who wants to ride my street bike has to ride the dirt bike first...

Then they don't want to ride the street bike, lol. (2 strokes rule; I love to watch a newb hit full throttle in first... :) )

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
You'll also have the jerks who hate motorcycles and want to scare you for fun. Like the moron who almost forced me off the road at a red light I was sitting right next to him. He knew I was there. My exhaust was loud enough for the residents of a cemetery to notice. Light turned green and he just moved over into my lane as he crossed the intersection. At the next light I tried to get up to him so I could ventilate his passenger window for him but he turned.

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts

Bikes are Invisible!

My advice is to buy a dirt bike, ride it for a few years to get the reflexes you need to survive, then get a street bike. That way 'learning incidents' aren't extremely painful or fatal. Mud >> pavement, IMHO.

I have lost friends off road, so nothing is safe; there just aren't as many opportunities to die per mile.

Then they don't want to ride the street bike, lol. (2 strokes rule; I love to watch a newb hit full throttle in first... :) )

Excellent advice Grog6, this is the same thing that i tell my friends when they want to learn to ride or ask to ride my bike.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts

Bikes are Invisible!

Every idiot you have an incident with is going to say "I didn't see you" , regardless of how loud your pipes are, the color of your bike, whatever. You could be wearing a technicolor Bozo the Clown outfit, and they would say that.

Cellphones haven't helped any. Or Oxycontin... I lost a friend this year over some overmedicated ***** who pulled directly into traffic; one dead, one wounded; and she didn't know there was a problem... the half of her car that didn't kill Keith wiped out another friend who was 50 yards behind him. (Rot in hell you sorry *****!)

Sorry.

The problem with bikes are mostly other drivers, and a few idiot riders. Those are self-curing; one good problem either makes them cautious, or they give up riding. (and several square feet of skin...)

baaaah 4 strokes for the win :) i totally agree with that though everyone should start off in dirt not only does it help with getting to learn just the basics but some of the flight or die instincts i know riding dirt taught me a lot that can be applied to street. plus if you move from dirt to street you wont get embrassed when you stall the bike shifting or getting the bike rollin from a dead stop.

your fist street bike should be something below 600cc's because if you get anything like a R6(600CC) bike more then likely you're gonna whack that throttle wide open and get yourself splattered on pavement then people like me are gonna have to scrape you off the ground.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Take the MSF basic rider course (BRC). http://www.msf-usa.org
The class is expensive, but they provide you a bike to ride, expert instruction and it also lets you bypass the DMV riding test (you only have to take the written test).

They'll teach you what you need to know to ride safely in traffic. Knowing how to ride safely also makes you a better driver because you get more aware of your surroundings.

Start with 600cc or less, and not a sportbike.

If you want a sportbike anyways, get a Ninja 250. Great, underrated little bikes.

But, it looks like you're interested in a "standard" motorcycle. Great choice.

Make sure to actually buy protective gear, ie a leather riding jacket (leather does not always equal HAWGZZZ and harleys), a full face helmet and a set of riding boots. Oh, and somewhere to store your stuff when riding, like either saddlebags or an aerodynamic backpack.

If you buy a dirtbike, don't expect to go 70mph on dirt tires. It's NOT FUN. It's damn scary.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
Take the MSF basic rider course (BRC). [
If you buy a dirtbike, don't expect to go 70mph on dirt tires. It's NOT FUN. It's damn scary.
it's not that bad i did that on my 150r on asphault... stupid probably... fun hell yeah:D
now it's not fun making turns on smooth concrete with dirt tires cuz the bike tends to loose a lot of grip when you ride the edges... learned that the hard way leaned just a tad too much in a turn on a neighborhood street and i went down :rolleyes:.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts

You could buy this for what you'll pay in insurance for one year on a motorcycle. Saves more gas too.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a 12 mile trip to school, then 12 back. Not saying I couldn't do it with a bike, but would rather have something motorized, and if it's motorized it needs to look decent. I like how that bike has no pedals though, it would really give you a good work out. But that would be a nice bike if I were into biking.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
You could buy this for what you'll pay in insurance for one year on a motorcycle. Saves more gas too.
I don't think you can get that bike for $60 a year, lol. Unless you finance it for a lot of years... :)

One of my coworkers spent $5000 at that site; I didn't pay that for my last car. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've been riding for 18 years, and I started on a Honda Z50R when I was 7 and worked my way up from there. I don't think most people do that anymore, instead they buy a R1 for their first bike and don't know how to control the power so they crash. Definitely take a MSF course, they only take a weekend, you'll learn a lot, and you'll get a discount on your insurance.

The Virago 250 in your post would make a good first streetbike, that's actually what I rode when I took the MSF course years ago. Other entry-level bikes I would recommend are the Honda Rebel, Suzuki GZ250, Kawasaki 125 Eliminator, or Kawasaki 500 Vulcan.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I don't think you can get that bike for $60 a year, lol
That sounds like your cost, not the cost for an 18 year old

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Actually, if I bought a motorcycle it would be this one: http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/1252351087.html

1977 Suzuki GS 750, I read it was the fastest Japanese bike made in 1977, so it may be a bit much for a first bike, but it would b cool. It has a bad head gasket, but comes with a replacement motor.
Nice Choice!

I have two 80 model GS750s; that was the first year with DOHC...

Now I'm changing my Red cougar to Match!

:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts