TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a fan of how my rims sit in the fender on my m8..even with the stocks they sat too far in imo..
I've read nothing but bad stuff about universal spacers and those won't cut it for me anyways..( you can see how deep on they sit when you look at my rear as compared to the outside of the fender by the bumper ?)
I want to space them out atleast an inch..
I was looking at 1.25in spacers.
My ? With those is, do they just bolt onto the hub and then the rim onto those? Or do my stock studs have to be changed?
Is anyone running these or lug adapters with the same thickness and if so any pics? Idc if it's a bird or cougar or m8 ..
Any balance or steering or suspension issues using them?
I figure it's cheaper to space them out and get about taller and wider tires than it would be to find some other 5x108 rims. And I know but no..im not doing the 5x114 swap..too much time and money in different rims and tires when mine are just fine.
Side note, I found cool centercap kits..its a black backing and you stick the other emblem over it..i wanna do lincoln emblems or possibly cobras on them..
I also FINALLY found some real steel cobrastar emblems..

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
you can do a lot with just the wheels. The offset can make a big difference. Wider wheels with a larger offset can fill out the fenders better.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Spacers are generally considered a bad idea because moving your wheel out like that will adversely affect your suspension geometry -- esp since you are talking about adding 1.25" of thickness.

https://www.motorsport.com/automotive/tv/engineering-explained/wheel-spacers-adapters-good-or-bad/

While switching wheels to different ones with a larger offset is clearly the way to solve the issue properly, you made it clear you want to stick with your stock wheels/tires.

Personally, if I was dead set on using spacers, at a minimum I would go with oversized, longer studs.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/arp-wheel-studs-rear-3-inch-1964-1973/p/HW1175/ - I paid $14/ea wheel
You'll also need new lug nuts but those can be bought cheaply as well (I purchased 20 for $11).

It'll take time to install them but it's just labor (punch out old studs, drill them out a bit, press the new studs in).
The alternative (losing a wheel because you sheared off your old, abused studs) is not fun. My teammate learned this on the track from experience.

-g

·
Registered
462 Posts
Dont do this
390774157.jpg

Dont get the stamped steel looking ones because this happens
IMG_1055.jpg

If you are gonna get spacers get these, dont cheap out. Cheap knock offs are cast instead of billet, and are worse than the stamped looking ones because they crack around the stock stud mounts.
J100749.jpg

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Dont do this
View attachment 27537

Dont get the stamped steel looking ones because this happens
View attachment 27545

If you are gonna get spacers get these, dont cheap out. Cheap knock offs are cast instead of billet, and are worse than the stamped looking ones because they crack around the stock stud mounts.
View attachment 27553
Q: Why rely on the studs on the spacers vs just installing extra long studs?
I guess because you want the quick and easy solution but IMO, this seems like someone trying to make a taller ladder by duct taping two ladders together.. or stacking two stools on top of each other and hoping for the best.

-g

·
Registered
462 Posts
Q: Why rely on the studs on the spacers vs just installing extra long studs?
I guess because you want the quick and easy solution but IMO, this seems like someone trying to make a taller ladder by duct taping two ladders together.. or stacking two stools on top of each other and hoping for the best.

-g
Extra long studs would work with those flat spacers, which I had pictured why I dont like them. They break studs. Even seen it in person.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts