TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Warning! mevotech suspension parts

I just replaced my UCA and LCA 1 week ago. I used moog lca's and mevotech UCA. The mevotech UCA balljoint boot is already split! It was not damaged before I put it on. I was very careful installing the part. This is nuts! I guess I will take it back off and return it to rockauto for a replacement. I am glad I saved the old parts. The only good thing is it is on the drivers side which can be changed in ten min. I would recommend avoiding this brand at all cost!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE-- rockauto.com ROCKS! I called rockauto and told them about this problem. The lady was very friendly (and probably very pretty). She said that they will ship another replacement part for free and that they would even reimburse my labor costs, which I did the labor myself. I do not have to return the old UCA, she said just toss it, all this at no charge to me. Rockauto.com is just a great as newegg.com. They will get my return business!:)

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's good news...question is, are you getting the same crappy item from them as a repalcement, or are they sending you a different model?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure it is the same junk as I did not get charged for a more expensive part. Maybe I just go a bad one, only time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
4,886 Posts
Any update on the replacement rockauto sent you? I'm considering a Mevotech UCA from them.
Try the Dorman UCA instead.

The ones I got had as big a ball joint cap as the worn out Fomocos on the Cougar, plus they're lubeable (a plus for me, a minus for others.)

Still awaiting the Moog LCAs this week or next.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
(and probably very pretty)
I always remember the end to the aerosmith video, with the old lady on the phone.... (ugggghhh!)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Since you now know that the boots are garbage why not remove the unused on and the none torn one and install the poly uca ball joint boots from rob?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am sure it is the same junk as I did not get charged for a more expensive part. Maybe I just go a bad one, only time will tell.
I Agree full strenght! DO NOT BUY MEVOTECH! I almost bought just like you. I got MOOG upper control arms, and MEVOTECH LCA.. Here is the MAJOR problem! I HAVN'T driven my car at all! It's been in my driveway for 6 months, because the engine was out. When I was putting the engine back in, I looked at the LCA, and the bushing was CRACKED, HARD, and grease has drooped all over my rims and the ground! How more pathetic can it get.... =(((

·
Super Moderator
11,855 Posts
Moog or TRW are the only way to go.

Moog kicks ass, and TRW is the OEM supplier to Ford. The original suspension components on your cars from the factory were TRW.

Moog is a division of Federal Mogul. HQ in Southfield, MI. That's right, it's an AMERICAN COMPANY!

TRW world HQ is in Livonia, MI

Mevotech is Canadian.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i put masterpros from o'reilly in my car, the price was right and i was kinda in a bind as my passenger side UCA's ball joint was REALLY bad and getting dangerous. The master pros have a lifetime warranty so if anything goes wrong im getting new ones, If the boots rip im gonna get robertp's UCA ball joint boots.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I think that the mevotech steering parts I used should be fine but I can see myself replacing the boots soon. I also used mevotech front sway bar links but they seem pretty good. At least those won't be hard to swap out for some moogs when the time comes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mevotech comes in a pretty box..It was the only brand I could get my hands on immediately and the wheel was ready to pop off..
My boot also split in about a months time. So how well are they holding up besides the boot issue?

I got a Moog when I did the other side. So far so good.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Moog and trw are the only way to go. I bought a full replacement suspension set up off e-bay a couple of years ago. I thought when it said OEM it meant Original Equipment Manufacturer. ( I know call me stupid) Went and opened the box a year later and found junk. The lower control arms had the balljoints formed into them not pressed in like the originals. The bushings also were not pressed in properly. I would not risk my life on these. Installed all moog no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can vouch for the MOOG upper arms from Rock Auto also. Very satisfied with the quality and the ones I received had a grease fitting as well.

They even looked a good bit stouter than the originals that came off my Mark 8.

True, I learned the hard way about Ebay/China suspension parts when I replaced the pittman arm on a Dodge Ram one time. It lasted maybe 6 months at the most before being totally shot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've always had excellent luck with Moog parts. I typically get the Moog brand for any of my cars that need suspension parts replaced. Either that, or Energy Suspension. Both companies engineer the hell out of their stuff and it shows.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Another place NOT to get front upper control arms - Napa.

At least not their cheap brand. I bought a set, installed them - one split and started squeeking one and half WEEKS later. The other one just started squeeking and it's been almost a year now.

I live in Flatland Florida, so these arms should have lasted forever! The most "exercise" they get in a few speeds bumps in my neighborhood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts