TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After I flushed my cooling system I refilled it with water direct from my whole house water softner. I used A 50/50 mix even though I live in miami and put in A small bottle of water pump lube. Now someone tells me that soft water is bad and will dissolve the lines in the heater core and worse. Is there any truth to this? WHAT DO I DO? thanks, Richard:confused:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Richard, i live in Miami also.....

and when i flush my coolant system i use my front lawns hoses water.

Marvin M.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I've always been told that the best thing to have in your cooling system is distilled water. But not many people wanna spend $$$ just to flush their cooling system. They'll spend it on anti-freeze, but not pure water. Odd.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Water softeners generally replace the minerals in water with salt. Salt eats the hell out of aluminum that's bolted to iron, like in our 4.6s. I would flush that thing good with distilled water (a buck a gallon ain't too hard to take), and then refill it, using distilled.

·
Registered
610 Posts
bill_s said:
Water softeners generally replace the minerals in water with salt. Salt eats the hell out of aluminum that's bolted to iron, like in our 4.6s. I would flush that thing good with distilled water (a buck a gallon ain't too hard to take), and then refill it, using distilled.
Buck a gallon? I paid .59 a gallon at wal-mart...

Jim Long

·
Registered
803 Posts
Distilled is about as cheap as triple filtered drinking water here. The drinking water that is reverse osmosis and charcoal filtered is also a good one to use.
They do put inhibiters in the coolant and you can also buy some other types of inhibiters to add if you have hard water.

rm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts