TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ran through a large mud puddle earlier this evening. It was a little bit more then I guess the old girl could take. She started running rough - stalled out a few times. It has a little water in the air filter housing. We just drove it till it dried out.

It's got a little bit of water on the oil fill cap on the top of the valve cover. I was wondering what damage we may be risking. We pulled the dipstick for the oil; there doesn't look to be any milkiness on the dipstick itself but it did splash fairly deeply through a puddle and did get a little water in the intake.

I don't think anything's broken, we're just worried about bearings on this motor because we just put it in and it's a 90,000 mi replacement engine for the one we blew up. I'd appreciate anyone's input on what they think or what I may need to be looking out for the next time I drive it after I change the oil. Car is a 94 4.6 l
G

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
4,000 Posts
Hopefully it was that the water denied the engine oxygen and stalled. Stick with the basics, don't over think things. Change the oil/filter and see how it runs. If it runs well, fantastic! If it runs poorly, report back to us with details...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hopefully it was that the water denied the engine oxygen and stalled. Stick with the basics, don't over think things. Change the oil/filter and see how it runs. If it runs well, fantastic! If it runs poorly, report back to us with details...
I hope so too although I know there's a little bit of water in the oil because there's milkiness on the oil filler cap on the valve cover and I'm just wondering I know it drank a little water through the air filter housing I'm hoping it trapped most of it but like I said he pulled the dipstick and it wasn't milky on the dipstick itself so the entire oil pan is not full of water and we had to drive it home slightly and I ended up having to blow it out a few times didn't take it over 3,500 RPM but it's got a slight hesitation still and we're just going to go to get new oil and leave it parked until we change the oil

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Might have damaged the MAF sensor if you sucked up water .. you should check your intake tube and replace the air filter if that got wet. If you didn't hydro lock the engine and bend a rod by now, you're probably going to be OK. Change the oil to be on the safe side but any moisture in there is normally condensation like Supergordo said

·
Registered
129 Posts
Maybe related, maybe not: A couple of times that I've pressure washed the engine (after covering all the electronics & sensitive parts, which I cleaned by hand afterwards), my '97 4.6L would run a little rough & herky-jerky for several miles and didn't run smooth again until the next day or two, when everything had dried completely. I'm thinking some bits of water got into the spark plug wells.

In your case, it might be a similar issue, where some surface water is just in the wrong place, like the spark plug wells or other electronic parts, and just needs to dry out.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
That's your engine trying to tell you to not power wash it. Listen to your engine, lol!

Al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts