TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a nice puddle on the passenger side floor a couple weeks ago. Looks like the ponding started from a leak in the upper dash area above the kick panel. Had some good rainstorms since but the problem didn't recur. I frequently clean the leaves that fall onto the vent area and gave the right side a good cleaning when I removed the fender six months ago, so I don't think it's likely there was a temporary clog but certainly not impossible. Could be that the body seam sealer in that area has failed similar to what typically happens in the roof / rear quarter / trunk panel area. No water in the glove box so not critical.

95 4.6 LX, still the daily driver at 249K miles.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,564 Posts
I had something like this in my old 96 Mark VIII, but never found any signs of water coming from under the dash... I never did find out where it was coming from.

Even further back (like 10 years ago) I would spot a few drops on the floor mat, under the blower motor on the T-bird after moderate or heavy rain. I pulled the cowl, ripped off the air intake grille and re-sealed it with silicone. Fixed it right up. I don't recall the rubber sealant looking decayed or cracked, but clearly it was leaking.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I had the same issue, and also fixed it with silicone.

My plastic cowl is bowed on the passenger side for some reason. The rubber strip does touch at the windshield, but there is space underneath the plastic part. I just filled the space with silicone.

Al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you have a moonroof/sunroof? If so, the drain hose for the sunroof channel runs down the passenger side A-Pillar and drains behind the passenger side inner fender liner. These drain tubes are hard plastic held together at joints with rubber tubing. Sometimes, as a result of age and other factors the plastic will slip out of the rubber and drain down the inside of the A-Pillar onto the floor. Might not be a bad idea to pull down the headliner (just the edge by the door) and shine a flashlight in the gap to see if that is the case.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good suggestion, thanks, but there is no sunroof. The thing is haunted, heavy rain all last night, (car parked in the same position all the time when in the driveway) and no water today. Not ready to start pulling apart the cowl yet, maybe I try loading it up with the garden hose first, see if it looks like it's draining properly.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
The cowl isn't that bad to remove, it's just the cover.
Wipers first - have to tilt the wiper arm up far enough for the stupid clip to pull out and lock it in place. I usually forget this until 1/2 way thru the job. Keep track of the plastic aligning peg, if it still exists.

Then remove all the cowl screws (keep the hood shut during this step, the wipers too).

Next remove the weatherstrip piece and the hose from the driver's side washer.

Then remove the two cowl pieces as one assembly (being careful not to bend the plastic line too far as you squeeze the assembly out between the hood shocks).

I added most of the silicone to the passenger side. The areas that weren't bad, I used a bead of clear waterproof paste that you would use for faucet o-rings. The bad area, I used GE Silicone in a caulking tube to fill it in.

Al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Along the lines of the moon-roof drain, isn't there a similar setup that drains the condensate from the AC condenser? I think I remember reading here somewhere years ago that the drain tube gets clogged and spills in to your passenger side floor...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts