TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '97 bird, I have developed a dripping water leak, even static, directly above the oil filer canister. It's definitly not the lower radiator hose. Has anyone had this leak before? It is very difficult to see where it is coming from even when the filter is off. Definitly coming from well above the filter and trailing down. Is there a freeze plug up there on the 4.6 direcly above the filter? Can't see much.

Thanks, Phil Swanson

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It may be the oil filter/coolant inlet manifold gasket. If you can verify it, it takes removing the radiator hose and oil filter and 4 10mm bolts hold the inlet on. The gaskets rarely go bad but they can and first you may just want to see if the bolts are tight? However replacing the gasket anyways would probally be the best way to go.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the four bolts and they are tight. Looks like I would have to lift the engine out in the front to change it. I can't see close enough to verify that this is the source of the leak. Maybe a mirror. Used Bars stop leak. Maybe that will hold it for awhile.I have a feeling that its a freeze plug above that.

Thanks, Phil

·
Super Moderator
10,579 Posts
I've replaced these gaskets on both cars; only one leaked water, both leaked oil.

You will need a 1/4" 10mm and a 1.5" extension to get it apart/together.

I had to use a 1/2" and a ujoint to bust them loose; what a pain.

Oh; you have to remember to drain the oil and water... :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
I changed mine two weeks ago it was leaking oil like crazy, get the drivers side wheel off and in the frame rail there is two holes u can take out the top two bolts off using a long extension PITA:tongue:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am sure I will have to change the oil/coolant adapter gasket. But for now, the Bars Leak is holding like a champ. I pulled the upper radiator hose and emptied it and then poured in a can of Bars Leaks. Hasn't leaked a drop since. Man, that's good stuff. If it starts again, I will change the gasket but so far, so good. Phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts