TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed last night with the rain that a little bit of water had made its way into the passenger compartment and got my floor mat wet (just to the left of the right kick panel about as far forward as you can go before the firewall); looks like it seeped in through the bottom of the outside air vent for the climate control. Is there any easy way to get at that area to seal it without ripping apart the dash?

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Years ago mine had a bad windshield seal, causing a water leak. You might want to check under the cowl to see if the drains are clogged with leaves.

Joe

·
Registered
933 Posts
Does it come out of the housing that holds the fan for the a/c and heater? I have this problem, mainly when going through car washes. The intake for the ventilation system is right under the cowl and it faces up. The problem is if water is flowing down the windshield, it can go straight into this, and then make it's way out of the inside recirculation intake and drip onto your floor where you describe. If it's a light amount of water if will be able to direct around the intake that's outside, but if there's a lot of water it will not be able to divert it all and it will go down the intake. It seems like a very dumb design, I don't know how it is on other cars. It seems like Ford tried to get around it by putting a little weather stripping under the cowl right above the intake, where the water would flow down, trying to keep it out. But, if it's old it may not be making a seal against the windshield like it should. I took the cowl off and went to Lowes and bought some weather stripping. I think you'd need something that's like 3/4" wide, and only 1/4" thick. I'm not sure though. I replaced mine, but got some that was too thick so I had to do a bit of trimming. It's helped quite a bit. Most of the time it's fine, but every once in a while a little will drip during a car wash.

Let me know if you need help or pictures. If doesn't take long, just have to undo some screws and carefully take the cowl off. It gets a little hung up on windshield wipers and the hood, but it can come off without taking either off. Once it's off, you should easily see the intake I'm talking about and the weather stripping.

·
Super Moderator
9,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, no sun/moon roof.

I think we're having the same problem, probably worn/loose weather stripping. The weather strip at the back of the hood was constantly coming off and I was getting a misfire because water would drip down into cylinder 4's plug well after a hard rain. I suspect the same may be happening as you describe. Strange though, I've only seen it happen this once and it wasn't raining all that hard/much.

If you've got pics on hand that'd be helpful, but if not don't go out of your way to get them. I just need to find the time to tear it apart and investigate.

·
Registered
933 Posts
It's not the big strip that runs across the whole cowl, between that in the hood. It's a piece that you can't see until you take it off. You only need the passenger side taken off, and it's towards the "top" or "back" of the cowl and it's between the cowl and the windshield, forming a seal, or once forming a seal I should say.

I'll take some pics, it's not too bad and I'm bored and need something to do :D

Plus, someone else could probably use the help too.

·
Registered
933 Posts
First step.
There's 4 screws holding this piece in place. After you take those out I'd try to stop the wipers in the up position (turn ignition on, turn wipers on, turn ignition off when wipers are all the way up, you shouldn't have to start the engine to do this) You could probably do it without the wipers up, it just seems easier to me.

Second.
You'll need to take the big piece of weather stripping (that always seems to be falling off anyways) off. It should just come off by pulling it.

Third.
With the hood HALF open (that's when the opening is the biggest) you should be able to pull the cowl out towards the windshield.
BE CAREFUL! You washer jets are attached. Also, there's a little tab that goes under the windshield trim piece (going up the side of the windshield), it should just kinda slide out. I think you can get this job done without take the jet off and just leaving the cowl there. You will have to go out towards the windshield because it wont fit through the engine compartment side (the tab I was talking about hits the hood hinge and some other things). You don't really need to take it off the car, you just need to get under it. Once it's moved, you'll see the a/c/heater/whatever-you-want-to-call-it intake.

That's where the water is getting in. It almost looks like it's designed to take in water. You'd think it wouldn't be the way it is.

Fourth/Final
Pulling the cowl up (but being careful not to crack it, it's flexible, but don't think it's made of rubber) you will be able to see a piece of weather stripping stuck to the bottom. I'd say it's a foot or so long. Here's after I replaced it:

It's jagged because it was too thick so I trimmed it down. One you take the old stuff off you'll notice that there's a little raised outline where the weather stripping should go, so it should be easy to get back in place. The factory stuff is a low density foam. What I got was a high density I think (just because I didn't know) so it didn't compress as much, so I had to cut it. I think 1/4" of high density would work, if you go thicker try and get a low density. 1/2" low density would probably be best, or 3/8" You can tell in the picture where car wash water likes to go, on the left side of the stripping it's bluish, that's the soap they use. Here's what the new stripping will look like before it's cut and put on.

You'll get a lot more in a new roll, it will be WAY more than enough. It should be in the weather stripping section of any hardware store. It's used for like going around door jambs and window sills I think. Also, the adhesive on this stuff (old and new) tends to be VERY sticky, so try not to let it touch anything you don't want it to stick to. If this happens, don't just tear it off because you'll probably just rip the foam and have just the adhesive and a tiny bit of foam still stuck on to whatever it's on. Paint thinner should work, gasoline does work, but be smart with it, and you shouldn't need much at all. If it sticks to the windshield, you're ok, with a bit of gas it should be easy, if it sticks to a painted surface be careful to not scratch or ruin your paint.

Hopefully this fixes your problem! GOOD LUCK!:D

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Good call. Also there is a TSB for 94-5 birds/cougars at least where they take in water through the outside air intake when the car is parked with A/C in the MAX a/c position. The "fix" is to install the 97 style cowl panel. I called the dealer about this part and it is discontinued, so if you dont have the closed off "right above the intake hole" style cowl panel like the one sdavis posted above, you can screw a license plate or whatever to the bottom side of the stock cowl to shroud the intake hole from water. I'll have to to take a look at that weatherstripping though, it didnt cross my mind a couple years ago when I did the "license plate fix"
-Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts