TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the title says, i'd like to know how long and what tools are necessary to install a water pump on the 3.8. if **** would quit breaking id be able to afford good stuff :(

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
if you still got the belt driven fan and a complete shroud get set to start cussing the crap outta it, anyways, you need an open end 11 mm wrench to get the bolts out of the fan pulley, a 10 mm wrench or socket for the top fan shroud bolts,

basicly get a good complete set of tools cause there's a hard to get at bolt that is on the alt bracket that takes a little inginuity to get out, although it might not need to come off, since the pump went out on mine about a week before the hg blew and i fixed it literly days before i had to rip the top half of the engine off,

i might be confusing the two repairs, lol, so basicly just take everything of the front of the engine that attaches to the pump,

i wish i could be more specific but it has been a couple of years since i did it on my 92, so memory is more than a little fuzzy, lol, but good luck with the project, bro. later'z.....:D

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm gonna be changing the water pump on my 94 tomorrow so I'm interested in this also. I'll be changing the power steering pump also.

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
As far as specialty tools go, you'll either need a PS pulley puller/installer to remove the PS pulley in order to remove the steel bracket that connects the PS/alt bracket to the water pump.

jda95bird, you'll definitely need a PS pulley puller/installer, since you're swapping out PS pumps.

If you don't have one, I believe you can rent one from places like Autozone.

-Rod

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
You can "Loan" a ps puller from Advance Auto. You pay for the kit up front, but get every penny back when you bring back the kit. Broken tools are covered by warranty. Just bring them back in the kit and there will be NO CHARGE.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I picked up the puller a couple of years back when the HG's went so I'm covered there. Anything else I need to worry about? I believe the manual says something about one of the bolts on the water pump has to be put in with RTV. I just skimmed through the manual so I'll be reading over it in the morning before I get started.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
if you pull the PS pulley off, you may have a hard time getting it back on. i unbolted the PS pump and alternator as one big piece, and let it rest off to the side carefully. theres 2 nuts and a bolt behind that bracket. hunt for them. i used a 15mm deep socket for the nuts, and a 13mm socket for the bolt, iirc. they are kind of hard to find and remove, but its doable. theres not much room to move the ratchet once you get the bolts and nut broken loose. i could only get one click of my ratchet, but the clicks eventually sped up and they came off.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm going ahead and changing the ps pump too since it squeals something awful. I was hoping to wait until I got finished with the V8 and started pulling the engine on the V6 to change the pump but now the water pump has started leaking so I'm going ahead and changing both. I've decided to change it at my friend's family's tranny shop in case I need any tools that I don't have.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well I'm done. Does anyone know the difference between the assisted steering power steering pump and the regular one? I believe I got the wrong one. The valve from my water pump (EVO) would not work with the new one so I just screwed in the connector and put it on.

I didn't have time to exchange it and I decided I would see what it's like. The steering is alot looser than what it was so I may pull it back off and exchange it if I can't get used to it.

I also changed my oil pressure sender unit while it was easy to get to and now my oil pressure guage doesn't work. I don't know if it's bad or what.

Now it's time for beer.

·
Registered
647 Posts
It doesn't look impossible but it's a lot easier with the ps pump off. I'm gonna have to pull mine back off somehow or another.

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
steve, it is. gotta remove everything in front of it to do a good job. i know this cuz i have a mechanical oil pressure gauge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts