TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have all the bolts off (4) but it won’t move. I smacked it a few times with a plastic mallet and it is still frozen on. Any ideas of how to break the water pump loose or did I miss a bolt?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Just keep tapping it up and down and left to right. It will eventually come out.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I did mine about a year ago, and my word of advise is:

Get a Bigger Hammer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They can be a real PITA to get out, and it shouldn't have sealer on it, it has an O-ring that swells over time, and makes it a pretty tight fit, just keep on working at it, and eventually it'll come out.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Had the same thin when I did my Mark VIII. I mistook one of the bolts... I think the upper left, there are two within about 1" of each other. Check and make sure you got all water pump bolts and not one or front cover bolts instead.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Waterpump Removal

Hey All,

I was trying to remove my waterpump and I can't seem to get it off. I removed the four bolts from the pully but it still won't budge

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you're getting rid of that water pump, then it needs a little persuasion. Between the outside elements and the inner o-ring, it can give some resistance. I gave mine a few raps with a hammer from varying angles on the pulley mount. Nothing too nasty, but it took a bit of time to work loose. A pry bar might also work.

If you're keeping the pump, however, you'll have to be less aggressive. You definitely would NOT want to impact the pulley mount in any way.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you're going to be replacing the pump with a new unit (no idea why else you'd be removing it, but that's besides the point...), just smash it around with the biggest hammer or mallet you can wield under your hood - you're not going to damage the block. Lubricants are not likely to help a lot.

Get yourself some Hulk Hand gloves and go to town.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
get a 2x4, place it on the top of the pump or on the mounting surface for the pulley and whack it with a big hammer. It wil break the seal and it then should come out. That is how I got mine off.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,788 Posts
get a 2x4, place it on the top of the pump or on the mounting surface for the pulley and whack it with a big hammer. It wil break the seal and it then should come out. That is how I got mine off.

:thumbsup: Same here 2 big pops and off she went :D

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
The water pump is the only engine part I have ever removed with a hammer.

Be careful; some of the stuff you will hit if you miss with the hammer is hard to replace, lol.
:)

·
Super Moderator
9,359 Posts
Great! And I was just about to look through my service manual for any tips or info that could've helped you out. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Great! And I was just about to look through my service manual for any tips or info that could've helped you out. :thumbsup:
The service manual says "pull the bolts, pull it off" pretty much, I have one. :)

It does point out the 'tabs' for prying; they're pretty obvious if you look at it. I broke those off in about 10 seconds... :)

The problem is the aluminum waterpump in an iron block, and at least one long interval between coolant changes... Mine was pretty much corroded in place; bet the OP's was too. Can't really complain, my water pump had 200k on it when it went bad. That's a lot better than any other car I've ever owned.

Getting it out is hard also because it has to come straight out; if you get it cocked to the side, it will never come out. Too bad no one makes a puller, lol.

In most cars, changing the coolant every other year will keep any corrosion problems at bay; unfortunately, most of us didn't own the cars new, and the damage is done.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
In most cars, changing the coolant every other year will keep any corrosion problems at bay; unfortunately, most of us didn't own the cars new, and the damage is done.
exactly... the sludge i got out of my radiator and bubble could have been mud... or brown cake frosting... and not 20000 miles after flushing it, just about every seal you could think of on the cooling system failed. plus that pump was so full of corrosion i had to take a wire wheel to the block befor i could even get the new pump to fit in there. -_-

1 - 20 of 53 Posts