TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
You will have to customize the water pump tube a little in order to fit the larger intake manifold. Take a little off the end of the tube and attach a small hose as a connector to the water pump tube in the valley. Use a 10mm bolt on the back of the driver side head to hold the tube in place.
Does anyone happen to have a picture of this step/set-up ? And is this still the preferred method of doing this, are there no after market adapters that will work here ? I am dealing with a 1994 4.6L. Trying to get a feel of what I will be in for, as I have not had one of these engines apart before.

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
The valley tube. Just use a 01+ crown vic or Mustang one and a new water pump nipple.

BTW your car looks awesome by the look of your avatar. 96/7 cobra wheels look awesome on Birds!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yep, head to ford and order

XR3Z-18B402-AA Ford coolant tube
F75Z-8555-AA coolant nipple

and if your talking the PI intake swap when you say "larger intake" then you should take a look at

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136894

it covers everything you should run into swapping a PI to the old 95 and down 4.6

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I went the "cheap way" with my PI intake swap on my 1995.

I just ran a heater hose where the PI tube would be and clamped it unto the existing nipple.

Been that way for almost 4 years now with no issues.

The NPI cars had the tube run down at the bottom of the valley, but PI engines have the intake loops hanging low, so the tube was relocated to the side of the valley - that's the difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm preparing for a NPI to PI head swap , I figured that there must be some more permanent way to do the water pump tube. I have not had one of these engines apart before. I assumed that the little modifications (RTV on the center head gaskets,and the water tube) were so that you would be able to run the same NPI intake, which I would rather not do either. Thank You for the info.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
You only use RTV when you put a PI intake manifold on an NPI motor. In the case of a heads an intake swap, RTV is not needed. All you need other than heads and intake manifold is the coolant tube and nipple. Both can be had brand new. You can find the tube used also.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You only use RTV when you put a PI intake manifold on an NPI motor. In the case of a heads an intake swap, RTV is not needed. All you need other than heads and intake manifold is the coolant tube and nipple. Both can be had brand new. You can find the tube used also.

First of all Thank You (All) for taking the time to look this thread over. But in reference to this link http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=136894 it appears that I will need everything that sits on top of the intake as well ? Also I'm assuming that headers or PI exhaust manifolds will be required. I'm thinking I may need a donor vehicle ?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
FWIW, you can save some effort and time by using a Crown Vic/Marquis fuel rail instead of the 96/97 TBird rail. The openings are in the middle just like the 94/95 rail and you don't have to change the fuel lines.

That's what I did - much easier...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like it's time to start looking for a distressed 96/97 , exhaust manifolds need to be opened up to match the PI heads....yes?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I have a set of Crown Vic fuel rails if you need them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a set of Crown Vic fuel rails if you need them.
Thank You for the offer , I will keep that in mind. I won't pull her apart till winter , I seen a 1996 for sale on Craigslist for $550 about 6 months ago , that a guy was scrapping , but at the time I didn't know I could use (need) so many parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts