TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a small leak from my water pump area for a while now, nothing really to be concerned about, I usually loose about 1/2 gallon every 2000 miles or so. I'd like to fix the problem to keep the engine a bit cleaner, and to prevent any future problems so here's what I've got for you all. There seems to be leakage only around the bottom portion of the pump, not on the top side at all (towards the alt). I was wondering if replacing the o ring on the pump itself and the gasket would help solve this problem. BUT, I called the local Ford place today and asked about the o ring...if I could get just that and not the rest of the water pump, and the gal (yes gal, she's pretty smart) told me that she didn't see any o ring, just a gasket. So my question...can I get the o ring w/o the pump and would that help...or is this the first sign the my pump is going downhill?? Thanks all in advance

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The gasket is the o-ring. Your pump is probably leaking from around the shaft, though. Mine was leaking in a very similar way. I replaced my pump, and the leak seemed to be coming from the hole by the bottom freeze plug (I'm not sure if it is a freeze plug, but it looks like a small one), so I would gess it was the shaft leaking.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got done talking about this with my dad and he said we'll probably just replace the pump anyways so hopefully that'll fix it. I haven't actually gotten down and taken any thing off to see exactly where it's coming from but that sounds like a very likely situation. Thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
It will most likely be leaking from the little seep hole at the bottom of the pump. Once coolant starts leaking through there, your pump is on its last leg. I would replace as soon as you have time.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I agree with the others in replacing the water pump.

The old one is a PIA to get out, and you may damage it at that point.

I replaced my original water pump at 190,000 miles just for peace of mind.

The area around the o-ring was pretty corroded, and would not have gone back in very easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts