TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump seems to be getting a little weak. It dosen't put out the pressure that it once did. Has any one tried to put a electric one or high flow? I had a hi-flow pump on my 92 stang and it rocked. Any one have any links?

Eric

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
if you do indeed need a new water pump, the Cobra and Bullitt pumps have a closed vane impeller design that is supposed to reduce cavitation. They are supposed to have increased cooling capacity over our OE pumps. They are a direct fit and arent too much more cash than ours. Give Dan Newmann a call for one.

joseph

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, Great Obucina.
To messure the water pressure, you remove the old themostat. Then you start the car and look to see how much water is being pushed out. It is not an exact messurement. But when I did the same thing 2-3 years ago the water would all but shoot out. Now it just kinda dribbles out. My car has been running a bit hoter this summer too. So it could be something else causing the temp, but it is better safe than sorry. Eric

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
funderbird said:
thanks, Great Obucina.
To messure the water pressure, you remove the old themostat. Then you start the car and look to see how much water is being pushed out. It is not an exact messurement. But when I did the same thing 2-3 years ago the water would all but shoot out. Now it just kinda dribbles out. My car has been running a bit hoter this summer too. So it could be something else causing the temp, but it is better safe than sorry. Eric
:leftright

That could indicate a clogged up radiator also

The waterpump pulley is a fixed shaft from the impeller - it either works or it doesn't.

The impeller can't slow down if the pulley doesn't slow down.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Kentwood said:

:leftright

That could indicate a clogged up radiator also

The waterpump pulley is a fixed shaft from the impeller - it either works or it doesn't.

The impeller can't slow down if the pulley doesn't slow down.

i do be concuring, flush out the radiator. If the pump is making noise or beginning to drip from the weep hole, then replace it.

joseph

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I mean at your cars age - if it's the original waterpump - it certainly wouldn't hurt to replace it as they are cheap and easy.

But I strongly doubt your water pump is putting out low pressure.

It either leaks or the bearings go out - or the impeller brakes off and it stops pumping altogether - they don't just slow down.

Try flushing your radiator first.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well hell,
I suppose I should have put that the pump is leaking and whinning in the first place. Thanks for looking out Kentwood.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
funderbird said:
well hell,
I suppose I should have put that the pump is leaking and whinning in the first place. Thanks for looking out Kentwood.
:uppoint: well in that case get a new one! :D

I was just trying to save ya some $$$$

Here's a tip - don't get a reman - they are only like $8 cheaper for our pump.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts