TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im only asuming the worst. I went to go pick up a buddy and it required me to get on the highway. Driving was fine. When i got back into town, i stopped for a red, and when it turned green and I left, the motor started to hesistate, oh no there goes the maf again (ive replaced the maf to a similar problem) when the car continued, i noticed no check engine light came on. odd, it ususaly does with the maf, maybe it was on so long it burnt out :) . so im driving and my eye glances the heat gauge. HOLY ****, its bouncin off the H. i pull into my drive way and it's pissin coolent and water is driping steadly out my muffler. IM assuming i blew the HG since these 3.8's are notorious for it. If anyone has anyother ideas. Its leakin from the front of the motor which is odd for a HG, but this is my first cougar and im unexperienced with these things. basicly i got all the symptoms of HG except for water in the oil which blows my mind. any help would be great

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
well if you got water/white smoke out the tailpipe then more than likely, the hg's are toast, the leaking at the front could be a blown radiator hose or a cracked head/block.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
yeah, if it's leaking from the back into your cats, it would probably be your HG's. it doesn't have to be in the oil though, it could have gone through a exhaust port.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
usually there is a cause and effect with headgasket failure. A waterpump goes bad, blown radiator hose, stuck thermostat, etc. So if your headgaskets are blown (which is most deffinetely sounds like they are) look for the problem that caused it.
-Thomas

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
yes, or just a leaking gasket, but not a very common problem. Worth checking out though, do a compression test.
-Thomas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts