TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--talk amongst yourselves...I'll give you a topic....

:D The new Freestar/Monterrey minivans come standard with the 4.2L V6! 210HP and 265lb.ft. torque. Discuss.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That may be true, but I mainly meant to spark a "future engine swap" thread, or at least some interest in the internal differences in those 4.2s and the truck ones.

**brain fart**I just love the 4.2, and I really want to see a turbo 4.2 in an MN12.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
the 01 windstars have 4.2L split-port with 3.73 rear difs. I still whooped one though. dont ask me why I raced it but I'll just tell you I wasn't expecting a 70 year old man holding a little yorkee dog in one hand to race me lol.
-Thomas

·
Registered
620 Posts
Jealous? said:
That may be true, but I mainly meant to spark a "future engine swap" thread, or at least some interest in the internal differences in those 4.2s and the truck ones.

**brain fart**I just love the 4.2, and I really want to see a turbo 4.2 in an MN12.
Ah, now i see what you meant. Not an opportunity for prospective minivan buyers, but for the local 3.8 guys.

·
8,978 Posts
Wait a few years and they'll be in junk yards soon enough. soccer moms in minivans are accident prone in my book.
-Thomas

·
Administrator
8,211 Posts
Thomas said:
Wait a few years and they'll be in junk yards soon enough.
I thought I remember seeing something not long ago that the FWD 4.2 won't do us any good, different bolt pattern on the bellhousing.

Joe

·
Registered
416 Posts
The 4.2 litre engine on the freestar is the optional engine. The base engine on this van is a 3.9 litre with 201 horsepower. Someone in this forum mentioned a 2001 windstar with a 4.2 litre. I have never seen a windstar with that type of engine. If that can be done i would like to know as i also own a windstar. I have been lucky so far that i haven't had any problems with the van. If there is a chance to stick a 4.2 litre engine in a windstar with few or no modifications i would like to know in the event that i run into that problem that windstar owners have.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
tino said:
The 4.2 litre engine on the freestar is the optional engine. The base engine on this van is a 3.9 litre with 201 horsepower. Someone in this forum mentioned a 2001 windstar with a 4.2 litre. I have never seen a windstar with that type of engine. If that can be done i would like to know as i also own a windstar. I have been lucky so far that i haven't had any problems with the van. If there is a chance to stick a 4.2 litre engine in a windstar with few or no modifications i would like to know in the event that i run into that problem that windstar owners have.
you would have to reuse the 3.8 block and put in a 4.2 crank, rods, and cam, and have the computer reflashed. untill the freestar comes out, there isnt a 4.2 that will bolt up to the fwd transmission, and there isnt a 4.2 computer to control the engine and the transmission.

also on a side note, FWD cars need higher final gear ratios to get off the line. my '96 neon has 3.55's in it stock, and its a stick, and some trim levels had 3.93's stock (oh, and a side note, with just a gear swap for the 3.93's, ill keep up with and beat quite a few stock 4.6's, even with the sohc motor). most minivans have 3.73s (or close to it) stock. take a look at gear ratios for fwd cars, youll see that most are at least 3.55 if not 3.73 or 4.10 range. -greg

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The final drive ratio doesn't tell you squat if you don't know the transmission gear ratios. All of this is designed according to the subject engine's powerband. Apples to oranges...

PJ

·
8,978 Posts
yeah I know, but it'd still be cool to have a windstar and be like, yeah it's got a 4.2 with 3.73's
-Thomas

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
And also Thomas, seeing as how your brain is incapacitated today, let's remember there was no 4.2L minivan in 2001. This is up and coming for 2004. :)

·
8,978 Posts
hmmm you are correct. I must have gotten it mixed up when people were talking about using the split-port intakes and heads on a 4.2 setup. I'm just going to stop posting now lol
-Thomas

·
8,978 Posts
well back on topic, I know what minivan I'm getting when I have kids. By that time they'll be at a nice cheap used price :D
-Thomas

1 - 20 of 42 Posts