TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my car last night to scope out where to mount the Innovative Tech WB O2 controller and the O2 sensor bung itself on my exhaust.

I Almost forgot about it but I realized that on my passenger side exhaust manifold for my 3.8L splitport setup, I cut and welded a cap for where the EGR pipe mounted (it was resisting all my efforts to unscrew it so I just cut the pipe at the point where it screwed in and welded a coin on top).

This is a good amount in front of the O2 sensor on that side (mounted on a pipe connected just after the exhaust manifold).

From a positioning standpoint, this would almost be the ideal position for me as:
a) the cable from the WBO2 sensor isn't terribly long and I wanted to place the WB O2 controller as far away as possible from the engine's hot bits
b) from that position, I can easily attach the WBO2 controller to my firewall.
c) this position should orient the WB O2 sensor in such a position that condensation won't be an issue (the sensor tip won't be placed higher than the body of the sensor).

Q: Will the EGR tube entry point be too hot a position to drill/weld on an O2 bung?

A friend of mine thinks it would definitely be too hot a position for the O2 sensors in a turbo application but I know the Narrowband O2 sensor screws into the passenger side so I'm thinking this should be ok even for my spendy WB O2 sensor.

What do you guys think?
Regards,
-g

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Many cars have the o2 sensor mounted directly into the exhaust manifold .. its not going to cool down that much between the head and the cat, the cats need to get up to 600 degrees. So yeah, shouldnt be a problem in the EGR location.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts