TCCoA Forums banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
You got different ones.

no healthy upstream

upstream connect error or disconnect/reset before headers. reset reason: connection failure
The fail is awesome; before the sale, this site ran very well on a dual core server with 1GB of ram.

In Sir Will's basement.

He's a sorry sack of sh*t for selling it out from under us, but these clowns have made him a relative God.

Tells you something about the company that running this now, doesn't it?

How bad does it have to get before we can sue them to take it back?

Gunn, is that an option?

EDIT: LOL; It literally got better after this post.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Until they capitulate on the filters, use Fu*k, sh*t, and Cockmonger.

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
When you change things for the better, it never matters that it sucks afterwards.

No one is ever responsible; when you complain, it's like "OK, Boomer."

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
You got different ones.

The fail is awesome; before the sale, this site ran very well on a dual core server with 1GB of ram.

In Sir Will's basement.

He's a sorry sack of sh*t for selling it out from under us, but these clowns have made him a relative God.

Tells you something about the company that running this now, doesn't it?

How bad does it have to get before we can sue them to take it back?

Gunn, is that an option?

EDIT: LOL; It literally got better after this post.
I'm not a lawyer BUT from what i learned of bird law from Charlie Day, it's all about standing.
Can you prove monetary damages? Considering I never made a payment for any services here, I can't.

- From their perspective, the # of users is NOT likely to be making it rain for the new owners. Maybe this site covers its bandwidth bills. Maybe it nets them a few hundred USD a month (akin to a friends website on scooters) BUT I doubt its more than $500/mo.

- You/me/us can vote with our feet and move to another forum, but honestly, I can't think of the last time I posted in a tbird-vehicle relevant thread. The data is there but to go back to it but I actually thought about this recently and the biggest value for me with TCCOA is no longer about MN12. TCCOA's website "scratches an itch" for me to have civil discourse with a persistent group of people with different backgrounds... whether its about remodel drama, random pics I saw recently, or how things are going in your part of the world.

- My FB friends list is full of similar folks to me. I have a long commute so I already talk to my friends (even those who live out of town) on a regular basis anyway. I don't see much of a need to flex for any of my other FB contacts. I purposely don't friend my co-workers and the lack of even a small amount of anonymity in other forums make it less interesting for me. Also, bots. In comparison, no russian is targeting the TCCOA user base to sway any elections.

- Reddit is too transient. Some of it is hillarious but some of it is downright toxic (see /r/wallstreetbets) but most interactions with people will only last for a few comment exchanges and then you'll never see that other user again. Like ships passing in the night. Also, in a one-to-many way posts work there make it much more of a forum for people looking for affirmation vs discussion. Sure, that happens a bit here BUT with the regulars you know its the same folks you interact with so you already know a bit about the others (who is younger, who is older, who is grumpy, who is not, etc). I don't dehumanize Grog or TM or CDB even though I've never met them IRL because I don't think they are bots. If they are, they are the most impressive bots I've ever texted messages with. I suspect the opposite is true as well. However, in comment sections like those below, I think a large part of it is a) the anonymity (which we have here) and b) the belief that the other donkey you are braying to might not be real so **** it, I'll just **** on them before they **** on me.

- Most/all disquis comment sections (Yahoo News and even SFIST) are downright toxic. I'd say that even my nextdoor feed is full of nutty folks. The commentary that pops up on my news alerts is amazing. Idiots yelling back and forth at each other without listening to what the others are saying. Its like these people (on both sides) are programmed and never expect to interact with the others again. I occasionally look at them but honestly, almost every time I use them I use the MUTE/Block feature more than the reply feature.

- I personally wouldn't mind bringing up more politics here esp as they affect things we are already talking about now (ex: the stock market) as I suspect the regulars could handle having a civil discourse. of course, this could be the straw that finally makes everyone (including the mods), leave :)

BOTTOM LINE: this website kind of works well enough for the 15min/day I might spend on it. I wouldn't expect more.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
We are not suing anybody to get the site back. If you want to tackle that bull by the horns (or balls) knock yourself out Greg! LOL

There was a brief time when we had a political forum here back in 2008 or so, around the time the market crashed. Will shut it down after a month or so. Now I get my political posting fix over at FlyerTalk.com

They have a political forum but you've got to be a member there for a while and establish yourself before you can access it. Kind of like here when we had to be a member for so long and have so many posts before you could sell something.

Anyway, the forum over there is surprisingly pretty liberal. There is the odd Trump supporter here or there but the general consensus is that Truth prevails over the political spin and the hyperbole, the gas-lighting and all the other nonsense. There are a lot of very well educated, very well traveled business people (Dr's, attorneys, accountants, Executives, etc.) over there who see what's really going on. It's a community unlike any other I've encountered online. We talk gun laws and the problem with mass shootings; there's a thread just for political cartoons, there's a thread on the Democratic candidates, etc.

There's a political thread in the Moderator forum here that sees some activity from time to time. I must admit Grog6 and myself are the primary contributors. IDK, I'd be open to starting a let's talk politics thread here and see how it goes. We could even move the other thread from the moderator form for all to see and just go from there. We'll talk it over and get back to you.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,502 Posts
I don’t want politics to become a main subject here, I honestly don’t care if it’s part of a topic like stock market or surrounding car related topics, but standalone political topics isn’t something I think we should have. I can name three forums off the top of my head whose content has become 75% political in the last few years, and they’re all now echo chambers, one side or another.

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
A political thread would not ruin the whole forum. We have dedicated threads for all sorts of things ie. your beloved chat thread. LOL.

But yeah, I see what you're saying. Keep it in one place - one thread so the whole forum doesn't get cluttered.

If it gets crazy out of control we can pull the plug and lock it.

·
Administrator
8,216 Posts
Not sure about anyone else, but the site is slow today! :sleep:

Joe

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
Its Tuesday! 504 Gateway Timeout Tuesday!

Ug!

Reactions: Grog6

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Error 504 Ray ID: 56e5efb9bb9fea3c • 2020-03-03 19:59:40 UTC
Gateway time-out

You Browser
Working

Ashburn Cloudflare
Working

www.tccoa.com Host
Error

What happened?
The web server reported a gateway time-out error.

What can I do?
Please try again in a few minutes.

Cloudflare Ray ID: 56e5efb9bb9fea3c • Your IP: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx • Performance & security by Cloudflare

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
At least our hard working admins are working on adding some other app we could care less about; while the site is slow, unsearchable, and lost all the content we were famous for.

They're going to get their bonuses anyway; keeping the site online wasn't one of their tasks on their review list, lol.

·
Administrator
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Hey all,

Most 500 based errors are recorded by and from our servers. We're generally aware of them as they happen, and are constantly looking to improve them. Please let me know if you've noticed any recent improvements here or if things still aren't improving at a rate you're comfortable with.

-Gerrit

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
No, sh*t changes, but not any of the sh*t we want fixed has changed.

Just tell us to go fu*k ourselves; it 's at least honest that way.

There's still a Cursing Filter, (which we are working around,) the articles are still gone, the galleries you lost are still lost, and we get 500 errors every day.

If they're in your logs, why haven't you fixed that sh*t?

I know, I know; I guess you're still trying to get the original emoticons working, right?

·
Super Moderator
5,131 Posts
No, sh*t changes, but not any of the sh*t we want fixed has changed.

Just tell us to go fu*k ourselves; it 's at least honest that way.

There's still a Cursing Filter, (which we are working around,) the articles are still gone, the galleries you lost are still lost, and we get 500 errors every day.

If they're in your logs, why haven't you fixed that sh*t?

I know, I know; I guess you're still trying to get the original emoticons working, right?
You presume they actually care.

I don't.

But, if you think it sucks here, try some of their other sites - they're getting slammed with so much Vietnamese and Chinese spam it's not even funny.

DakotaForumz.COM
Dakota-Durango.COM
DodgeTalk.COM

Just a few I also hit that are about to be closed off because I just can't take that much crap.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
NicE!

I've apparently got the overlords attention; I got a 10 second "tccoa.com " overlay on a refresh.

Now if you could just fix something broken. Lol.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts