TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
GreenBird said:
Why don't you ask UPS and FedEx how much they charge to send an envelope?

39 cents is a steal.

fuk yeah, those charges are insane....i dont care how cool the truck is. Most all of my bills are posted within 3 days of dropping them in the big blue box anywho.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I remember when I was little, tyey used to be 24 cents. (and I'm sure they were cheaper before that) A 15 cent increase over 20-25 years isn't bad.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
On-line Bill Pay is the way to go.

The only time I buy a stamp is when a seller prefers a money order. All other letters and payments can be done more effeciently over the internet.

I don't mind paying an extra 2 cents though. The postal workers put up with a lot of junk I wouldn't want to deal with. I had a new-found respect for them after stopping by a post office in West Charlotte at lunch time. Those workers need a metal!

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I send 1 letter a month for a little while, and that's for my "supervision" fee. You can't do check, credit card, nothin' but cash or money order. I don't mind. I pay twice that for a 64oz refill at the gas station.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
yes

various organizations keep trying to implement an email charge.. and say it is to "prevent spam"

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I dunno, but I hate spam! Hate it, hate it, hate it! Both the email and the food.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
FastBird232 said:
Are they raising prices every few years because of email?
Nope, pure inflation.

·
6,253 Posts
there of course is that too.. which is 90% of the reason, other 10% is to cover rising costs in relation to inflation, and to recoup revenue lost because of electronic means

in regards to DHL, UPS, FedEx, government regulation mandates that they charge more than USPS, they cannot undercut at all..

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
jamesD said:
there of course is that too.. which is 90% of the reason, other 10% is to cover rising costs in relation to inflation, and to recoup revenue lost because of electronic means

in regards to DHL, UPS, FedEx, government regulation mandates that they charge more than USPS, they cannot undercut at all..

yeah, that whole constitutional guarantee of a postal service is teh darnedest thing.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
jamesD said:
other 10% is to cover rising costs in relation to inflation, and to recoup revenue lost because of electronic means
More mail is being sent now than ever before.

jamesD said:
so they are required to charge 27 times more for a letter? So how can UPS/FedEx be cheaper for some parcels?

where are you getting this bull?

The postal service was started by the federal government because no private industry was meeting the need. Now it could be argued that the USPS be privitized, but when I look at the costs between the USPS and others, and the pay/benifits of the employees, I see an organization with federal oversight is better for everyone.

·
6,253 Posts
well.. here is a direct link to a case that defines most of the "bull"

pay special attention to things like Postal Monopoly, and this:
Since its establishment, the United States Postal Service has exercised a monopoly over the carriage of letters in and from the United States. The postal monopoly is codified in a group of statutes known as the Private Express Statutes (PES), 18 U.S.C. 1693-1699 and 39 U.S.C. 601-606. The monopoly was created by Congress as a revenue protection measure for the Postal Service to enable it to fulfill its mission. See, Regents of University of California v. Public Employment Relations Board, 485 U.S. 589, 598 (1988). It prevents private competitors from offering service on low-cost routes at prices below those of the Postal Service, while leaving the Service with high-cost routes and insufficient means to fulfill its mandate of providing uniform rates and service to patrons in all areas, including those that are remote or less populated
*edit.. forgot the link: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=498&invol=517

if an organization w/ federal oversight is better.. why is this the FIRST year in a while where the USPS actually made a profit.. government involvement is COSTLY..

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
how many postal carriers deal with packages that average 55-60 pounds each? or say if they order in bulk and have a 15-20 package order? at least 7 people in FedEx/UPS terminals handle something like this everday before it gets to the drivers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts