1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had some stuff done under the hood - now the digital OT
Temp readout's way off. Instead of giving me an approximate
ambient air temp reading (over 100 deg F down here this this
time of year), it's reading within a few degress of my climate
control setting of 70 degrees F.

What do you think happened? Did something get disconnected
under the hood, or can I recalibrate my OT Temp reading somehow?
Also does anyone know which sensor (and where it's located)
provides the OT Temp reading for the digital readout?

Thanks for any help - I hate to pay 10K an hour to Ford to
possibly adjust or reconnect somthing in five minutes, but charge
me 18 book hours. :p

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
OT Sensor Location

If I remember correctly, the OT Sensor is located in front of the radiator, on the radiator support, to the left of the hood latch. It looks like a standard thread in water temp sensor, but mounted on a bracket. It is very simple to replace. My OT reading was spastic on the extremes… +/- 10 deg with anything over 90 deg and about +/- 10 deg with anything below 40 deg. The closer the outside temp gets to 70 deg, the more accurate it gets. I replaced mine and it is a little better now, but still off at the extremes. I can’t remember the price from Ford. Hope this helps. (If it’s not where I said, let me know and I’ll go check my car)

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Hi Mager Thom

Did you run the self-diagnostic program for your Climate Control Unit ?

I had a code for an intemittent short on the sensor, and the tip of the sensor had its protective coating 'sandblasted' off from all my highway driving.

The above post is correct, about the location, and it's tucked underneath a couple of inches. The new sensor comes with the bracket, and it fairly inexpensive.

I replaced mine, but I am still getting an occassional false reading.

I may have some corrosion in a connector somewhere, but haven't bothered to check it further.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Something Else to Check

Also, I think the bracket also serves as the ground, so you may have some corrosion/dirt under the bracket and getting a false reading that way. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
In case someone hasn't seen the "How do you do the Self-Test" info., before
here it is again....................

Note that the interior of your car must be between 50 and 90 deg. F when doing this self-test

Perform the SATC System Self Test using the procedure that follows. Record all trouble codes displayed during the self test.

l The self test can be initiated at any time with any resulting trouble codes. Normal operation of the system stops when self test is activated.

l To enter self test, position the blower control knob at AUTO and the Function Selector Knob in either PANEL or FLOOR.

l Then, press the COOL and OUTSIDE TEMP buttons simultaneously and press the WARM button within two seconds. The display will show a tracer segment going in a counterclockwise direction in the center of the display window during the self test.

l When the self test is completed, Trouble Codes for any fault will be displayed in the VFD Window. If no faults are found, all display segments will illuminate.

l To exit Self Test and RETAIN all Trouble Codes, press the COOL (BLUE) button.

l To exit Self Test and CLEAR all Trouble Codes, press the OUTSIDE TEMP button and then, press the WARM button.

l After exiting the Self Test, the ignition should remain ON for at least 25 seconds to allow the temperature blend door actuator to calibrate.

l During normal operation, each intermittent trouble code will be deleted after 80 ignition switch cycles.
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES
ÚÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÂÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ¿
³ TROUBLE CODES ³ DETECTED CONDITION ³ ACTION ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ 24 ³ Fault in blend door calibration during self ³ Refer to Temperature Blend Door Actuator ³
³ ³ test ³ Diagnosis (Pinpoint Test A) ³
ÃÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÅÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ´
³ 25 ³ Intermittent fault in blend door calibration ³ Refer to Temperature Blend Door Actuator ³
³ ³ ³ Diagnosis (Pinpoint Test A) ³
³ 30 ³ Self test indicates in-car sensor shorted ³ Refer to In-Car Temperature Sensor Diagnosis ³
³ ³ ³ (Pinpoint Test M) ³
³ 31 ³ Self test indicates in-car sensor open ³ Refer to In-Car Temperature Sensor Diagnosis ³
³ ³ ³ (Pinpoint Test M) ³
³ 40 ³ Self test indicates ambient temperature ³ Refer to Ambient Temperature Sensor Diagnosis ³
³ ³ sensor shorted ³ (Pinpoint Test J) ³
³ 41 ³ Self test indicates ambient temperature ³ Refer to Ambient Temperature Sensor Diagnosis ³
³ ³ sensor open ³ (Pinpoint Test J) ³
³ 42 ³ Ambient temperature sensor intermittent short ³ Refer to Ambient Temperature Sensor Diagnosis ³
³ ³ ³ (Pinpoint Test J) ³
³ 43 ³ Ambient temperature sensor intermittent open ³ Refer to Ambient Temperature Sensor Diagnosis ³
³ ³ ³ (Pinpoint Test J) ³
³ 50 ³ Self test indicates sunload sensor short ³ Refer to Sunload Sensor Diagnosis (Pinpoint ³
³ ³ ³ Test K) ³
³ 53 ³ Sunload sensor intermittent short ³ Refer to Sunload Sensor Diagnosis (Pinpoint ³
³ ³ ³ Test K) ³

If any Trouble Codes appear during the Self Test, follow the diagnostics procedure given under "ACTION" for each Trouble Code given.

The SATC Self Test will detect faults in the system temperature and blower speed control functions found during the Self Test and will display these codes in addition to intermittent trouble codes for faults that occur during system operation. The vehicle interior temperature must be between 50°F and 90°F when performing the Self Test. If the temperatures are not within the specified ranges, false in-car temperature sensor trouble codes will be displayed.

If no DTCs are generated as a result of the self-diagnostic test (88°F°C code is displayed), determine the symptom(s) and go to the Symptom Chart.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for all the info.....

I'll do the self test sequence some morning when it's below
90 degrees F (if we have one any time soon) and see what's
shown. At least now, I have an idea how to work on this
problem. I should have searched my Service Manual before posting
my qusetion, but everytime I open it up I think my IQ drops forty
points - I rarely seem to be able to find the info I need....

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Any Update on your problem?

I was just wondering if you had any luck with your problem?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm going to bump this even though it's old, This is the first I've seen of the SATC self test.

·
Registered
332 Posts
hmm. this doesn't seem to work on mine. maybe the satc is broke... maybe that's why my a/c doesn't work.

·
Registered
811 Posts
are you trying to hold all 3 buttons? You need to press COOL and OT at the same time, the blower motor will stop, then press WARM. You don't need to hold COOL and OT while you press WARM, you just need to press COOL and OT together, then let go and press WARM.

it took me 20 mins to figure that out, and even then it was an accident.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I tried both methods, then i tried holding cold the hitting OT then warm. hold ot hit then warm nd about every conceivable combination for about 30-45min. no luck. at no time was there any indication anything changed(besides the temperature going up or down)

·
Registered
332 Posts
so I'm starting to think this could be the problem with my a/c... well that any I just found out that there's this thing called a sunload sensor that I glued vynl over top of

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,364 Posts
If you followed the instructions above correctly, I would venture to say there is an issue with the SATC module itself. A completely covered sunload sensor would be no different than nighttime. The A/C doesn't stop working whenever the sun goes down. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts