TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since I have owned my Cougar the blower fan has always seemed weak, and doesn't seem to move much air. Unless it's on full speed not much air comes through the vents, and for the amount of noise it's making it seems like more air should be moving. Is there any kind of different model fans type or upgrade? Any strange issue I may not be aware of?

·
Super Moderator
97 Thunderbird 4.6, 98 Mark VIII LSC
11,171 Posts
Agreed, the MN12 ducting is pretty narrow in spots; most of the volume goes through the passenger dash vents with next to nothing making it out the left driver's vent.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '89, it would only blow on high. Turned out to be the blower resistor was burned out, it only ran on high which is full power bypassing the resistor. I replaced the resistor and that fixed it. My car is an '89 with the manual a/c control.

·
Premium Member
1997 Thunderbird LX Sport
80 Posts
These cars A/C output left some to be desired even when they were brand new. They do get cold after awhile but never had much velocity. I too, would love to know if anyone has been able to improve that.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,592 Posts
My 97 E350 van had very bad air ouput from the vents. Turned out the Evaporator fins were almost completely covered it dirt and debris after 25 years. I replaced the core and it changed everything for the better.

Reactions: mercenvy

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,284 Posts
Compared to many other cars it feels like max fan speed in these is like level 3 in those. I think it’s the airbox/ducting design like Brandon said, there are other possibilities with diminished output but vent output doesn’t seem to be that impressive in any MN12.

My thing is to leave the passenger center vent closed to help stop air bleed, kind of pointless there anyway, I think the designers just put it there ford dash symmetry

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it's just a poor design from the Ford HVAC team. Maybe it would be possible to modify the air duct tubes, but that would require to take the dash out which is a PITA. Maybe a higher output blower could help somewhat?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
21,284 Posts
Sounds like it's just a poor design from the Ford HVAC team. Maybe it would be possible to modify the air duct tubes, but that would require to take the dash out which is a PITA. Maybe a higher output blower could help somewhat?
I'd try with a different blower or maybe even the squirrel cage first, that would be the easier retrofit potentially, Ford specified the same blower across many lines if you cross reference replacements so there might be room for improvement. I think the ducting issues may be hard to overcome since its so crowded in he dash, I'd first start replacing the foam where junctions meet and maybe even using tape as a secondary barrier to leaks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just close vents as necessary. As Matt said it boils down to poor design. My 97’ bird was the same and I recall closing opening vents constantly. After that I’d look for a bigger blower motor

·
Registered
1 Posts
So since I have owned my Cougar the blower fan has always seemed weak, and doesn't seem to move much air. Unless it's on full speed not much air comes through the vents, and for the amount of noise it's making it seems like more air should be moving. Is there any kind of different model fans type or upgrade? Any strange issue I may not be aware of?
I had that problem with my 97 Thunderbird. We found the wiring connector on the motor had been built wrong. The wires were crosse causing reverse rotation. We had a 95 Bird to compare it with and my boyfriend carefully took the little harness apart and switched the position of the wires and it has work perfectly ever since.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts