TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not this past friday but the friday before (10/12/12), the automatic finally went out. I had no clue how many miles were on it when i bought it or even if it did work but i got about 15,000 mile out of it for a $300 moter and tranmission from craigslist last year

This past spring, also on craigslist, i happen to run across a SC moter and 5 speed for $300 also. Kept the trans for myself and i had a buddy who wanted the moter so he bought it off me

So like i said friday the trans went out on my way to work so i had to take the day off to figure out what to do. By noon, had the car in the garage up on stands. Decided to do the swap, ordered parts and gather what i did have. Pick up the clutch about 3:00 and realized the wrong one was ordered about 7:30 (that part store had closed at 5). Race to autozone to find out they didnt hace one but the hub store did. Ran the trip up there (about 25 mile, so worth it) and got it back home. I had the old AOD out and the m5r2 bolted to the engine by 10:00ish

Saturday i spent most of the day cutting/drilling the firewall and mounting the clutch pedal assembly, swapping brake pedals and finding a usable driveshaft. I did have to slightly modify my crossmember a little. It took me about 2 hours drilling/ cutting the firewall mostly cause the best tool i had was a dremel tool with a flex cable and limited bits. I did nor have to remove the dash at all but it took me about 2 1/2 hours to mount the clutch pedal alone. I did take out the drivers seat.

Sunday i had to haul hay in the morning but the rest of the day i spent putting the car back together. Gas tank, exhaust, wire up the clutch pedal switch, fix my front tire, fluids, bleed the clutch and so on

I did it, about 95% all by myself (brother came over and helped for about an hour). Drove the car to work monday! The 5 speed woke up the car big time. Maybe this week sometime I'll get some photos or a video now that i got a phone that works right

Specs; 4.6L from a 1991 Towncar
M5R2 from a 1990 Tbird SC
Driveshaft out of a 1987 Crown Vic
Flywheel and clutch for a 2004 Mustang GT
All in a 1995 Tbird

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
INTERESTING...The 1994 4.6 is set up to bolt to an AODE, and not a 4R70W, so...different bolt pattern? Or is it the same? Would the M5R2 work behind a 94 and newer 4.6? Seems like I had heard over and over again that it would not, I could be wrong though, this is foreign territory for me. Very cool.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
Cool! Glad to see you finally got the swap done. I've only done T45 swaps behind the 4.6s before, but I've always wondered how it would feel with the M5R2 behind it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
ok....the video i took earlier today didn't want to upload right.......i guess i will have to try again another night

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
He used a 1991 block, the only modulars to use the Windsor bellhousing pattern. No this will not work with stock 94-97s.

The other theoretical option though is to use the case from a 96 F150 4.6 with the M5R2 and swap gears, shafts, clusters, and extension housings from a SC M5R2 onto it.
Does all the later 4.6 stuff still work heads cams intake, forged bottom end etc?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
He used a 1991 block, the only modulars to use the Windsor bellhousing pattern. No this will not work with stock 94-97s.

The other theoretical option though is to use the case from a 96 F150 4.6 with the M5R2 and swap gears, shafts, clusters, and extension housings from a SC M5R2 onto it.
Ive learned something today.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ive learned something today.
2x Agreed!!

ok....the video i took earlier today didn't want to upload right.......i guess i will have to try again another night
That is an impressive feat my friend, to have it done so quick and spontaneously too. I can't wait to see the video. I want to joint the manual MN-12 owners club too!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
We've got a '93/94 4.6L Lincoln TC coming to the shop for resale. I wonder if it has the earlier Windsor bolt pattern 4.6L? That would be cool - if so I may save this engine!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm not sure exactly what year would work, i just happened to stumble across everything by total luck....i want to say 91/92 would work. I guess the easiest way to tell is if the donar car had a 4.6 and an AOD behind it, then it should thoretically work.

Now for all the later 4.6 stuff work, all i can say is do a little reasearch. I gotta imagine its all real close but i'm no expert. When i had both moters out, i took the intake, oil pan and pickup tube, and all the sensors off the original tbird moter and swapped them over to the town car engine. That was just so i knew i wouldnt have any wire issues - "plug and play" is what i thought instead of "cut and hope!"

The driveshaft is a very tight fit. When i got the manual mounted i used a peice of string to measure, since my only tape was at work, went to the parts yard and went messure happy

As for getting the car done quick.....it has to be done so i was determined....i could have borrowed my brothers dodge truck but i didnt want to dump fuel into that to go to work. I'd rather drive my car than borrow

As for the video, i'll try again tomarrow weather permitting. I've never tryed uploading videos before so its all new to me, and what makes it harder is i'm doing this all on my phone too

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Definately proof that there's more then one way to stick swap a 4.6. It's no TR-6060 but congrats none the less.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry no video today..... its raining and now all my running lights quit, so i gotta figure that out whats wrong

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
What clutch are you using?? Pressure plate t/o bearing and all that?? Still all the hydraulic stuff from the SC or something else??

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, i think i got the video to work............let me know if something doesnt work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=PJqwrYge6PA

The flywheel i'm using is from a 2004 mustang gt 4.6L SOHC with the 6 bolt crankshaft, clutch kit for the same mustang just the autozone special, using the SC master cylinder to slave cylnder......and using the SC throw out bearing

The starter i have is was combine of the junk town car starter and the original tbid starter.............starter moter and solinoid of the tbird on the case of the town car

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Thats awesome. :D

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
You could get a piece of 1/2" thick aluminium and make your own shifter, my Dad did that for his 86 GT because he could't find one he liked.I'll try to find a pic of it.

·
Super Moderator
7,551 Posts
Very cool! From that video, it looks like it woke the car up quite a bit too! The car's coming along nicely. For the hole in the floor, they sell universal rubber shift boots at autozone, and you can either cut a hole out of the plate that was under the automatic shifter, or just use it to make a template to make a new plate out of sheet metal. Also for your shifter hitting, if you take a piece of 3/8" thick aluminum or 1/4" plate steel, you can basically cut out a square and drill 4 holes in it, then bolt that to the shifter in the trans, and bolt your shift handle to that instead of directly to the trans, and that will move the shift handle back slightly to allow it to clear the radio, and center console.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats what i was kinda thinking. Get a good peice of steel or aluminum and move back i think is about two inches w/o measuring at the moment.... i do have the rubber seal and the leather boot, i just had them off for the video so i could show what i could of the transmission without a lift

Car still could use a tune but other thing needs attention first. I might have a lead on a short throw shifter, so i dont plan on doing anything shifter wise untill i know i either have it or not

1 - 20 of 27 Posts