TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the weight difference between the new 5.4L and our 4.6L? I know that the deck height of the 5.4L is about 2.0 inches taller.

Mischievious musings...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
T-Bird Lounger said:
Does anyone know the weight difference between the new 5.4L and our 4.6L? I know that the deck height of the 5.4L is about 2.0 inches taller.

Mischievious musings...
weight difference is very little. still isn't worth it.
the 4.6L has a stroke equal to a 351, so the 5.4L is a major stroker motor, and makes awesome torque (read: good around town car) and it's lack of top end power makes it only slightly faster than a stock 4.6L (read: not worth it). In order to take best advantage of power, it needs to be in the higher rpms, so you hit those rpms in every gear.

The 4.6L has been taken to ABOVE 1000hp. you don't need more displacement.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I saw video of a 1.3 Liter putting 771 hp to the rear wheels. You never really need more displacement, you can always just used lots and lots of forced induction.

·
11,719 Posts
yeah, but I bet that car idles like crap...even though he has the idle set to 3000rpms! :p

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I don't think rotaries have any problem ideling...it was a Gen 3 RX7

·
11,719 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
I don't think rotaries have any problem ideling...it was a Gen 3 RX7
Oh, thats a horse of a different color. :D

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Hell, the gen III RX7s are the ONLY 1,3Ls i've ever heard of that put out more than 80hp. :)

·
Registered
621 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
I saw video of a 1.3 Liter putting 771 hp to the rear wheels. You never really need more displacement, you can always just used lots and lots of forced induction.
Well, with a rotory motor, the tables are a tad bit different... espically in the case of twin turbo RX-7's.:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4.6L stroke.

Good point about the low end torque of the 5.4L. Ya know, I thought about the stroke of our 4.6 and once figured out that if you just raised compression just .5 to .75 pts. with smaller combustion chambers you'd get one mean 281. Then Ford did it for the Mustang. Why they didn't do that in the first place I'll never know.

Wait a minute, isn't the engine in the new GT40 a supercharged 5.4L? Hmmm...

;)

·
Registered
726 Posts
I think so, but the cobra r had a 5.4, but it had some VERY (and i mean VERY) high priced parts to get it to its redline of 7000

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks!

That's not as bad as I thought. My other concern is that towering intake plenum and throttle body assembly. It looks as if you will need a Cobra hood to cover it.
:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts