TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the stock 15" alloy wheels on my car and I was wondering if anybody had an idea of how much these things weight? I've never handled the rim without the tire on it, but these badboys feel pretty heavy with the tires on..

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yeah, they aren't all that light. But they are also a pretty big rim for a 15 (width is big).

I want to say 26lbs with the tire.. but i'm not sure on that.. that could be something else.. but I do have a 26 in my head for weight on smoeones rims with tires...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
So 15lb wheel would be one hell of a weight savings...? And -120lbs of unsprung weight = -1.2seconds off of your 1/4? Yeesus. :beek:
No. that rule of thumb isn't much of a rule, and the rule is one TENTH per 100lbs, so it would be .12 seconds.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
unsprung weight is better to get rid of, but it's not 10 times, more like 2 or 3 for drag racing.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
blown96bird said:
I weighed a stock wheel and it weighed 45 pounds. The stock steel mini spare weighs 26 pounds.
That's not right! (Unless you're including the tire.) I recently shipped out a set of stock 96 LX rims, and including approx 10 lbs for boxes and wrapping, each set of two came out to 54lbs. That's for two wheels and two boxes each, (I taped two boxes together with 1 wheel in each, for 54lbs), so each wheel is absolutely under 25lbs!

·
The Parts Guy
7,349 Posts
I just weighed a few of the 15x6.5" stock fan style wheels, they all weighed in just under 19lbs.

-Rod

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would like to know some lighter wheels. Preferably 16 X 7 or 16 X 8 ? Even 17 X 8?

links anyone? All I find are _ X 7 or _ X 9's

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Unsprung weight is only part of the issue. Your lower a-arms are unsprung weight, but your wheels and tires are rotating mass, and rotating mass is THE most important weight to remove from your car. It's much better to remove 10 pounds per wheel than ten pounds per A-arm, spring, or whatever. That's why people use ultralight rotating assemblies in race engines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts