TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just took the back seat and the spare tire out of my 94 V6 LX. can anyone tell me what other things i can do by myself to make this thing lighter. i have also noticed that the engine looks alot like the 3.8L mustang engine so why does it have a deeper note it sounds more like an 8 than a 6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,129 Posts
My first step would be to take out all of that sound deadening crap they cake in the doors, trunk, etc. The A/C unit is extra weight; so if you feel you can live w/o it or you're just using this car to drag, then take that out as well. Trunk carpet is extra weight (very little though)...Are you going for purely speed and no cosmetics here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
conversion02 said:
My first step would be to take out all of that sound deadening crap they cake in the doors, trunk, etc. The A/C unit is extra weight; so if you feel you can live w/o it or you're just using this car to drag, then take that out as well. Trunk carpet is extra weight (very little though)...Are you going for purely speed and no cosmetics here?
no cosmetics i want speed but im still going to use it as a daily driver.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
removing the A/C compressor, condensor, drier/accumulator/ and all the lines, including the weight of the freon probably adds up to 50lbs. On pre-94's you can remove the clutch fan and stick an electric one in there, it weighs slightly less, but also cools better. I removed ALL of my AC, put an electric fan in front of the radiator, removed my passenger side accessory bracket and mounted a vacuum canister for my breaks (useless after deleting AC anyway, and my agressive cam didnt pull enough vacuum to power my brakes so I added the canister) and stuck the battery in the trunk, which doesnt reduce weight, but does make for better weight transfer. The engine bay is pretty empty now, I've mainly been doing all of this to make room for a future project but the weight reduction is also a plus.



My current project is redoing the transmission/drivtrain. Along with the new transmission, I've got an aluminum driveshaft ~30-35lbs lighter, mark viii aluminum rear differential ~30lbs lighter, and mark viii aluminum lower control arms ~30lbs lighter. They're expensive upgrades but if you want weight reduction then that's the way to do it. I kept all my sound deadening material because I'd rather hear my radio than the road noise.

-Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is really putting all the weight on the car my brother said it might be the suspension system or the exhaust system. if it is something else is it something i can take out our i really dont want to get my butt kicked by these fart buckets(imports)around here and i have a long way before i can take my brother(94 camaro RS).all help is very very appreciated i would consider an A/C delete but as hot as it is now not a chance
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
it really doesnt take much to be able to beat a v6 f-body. You would have to lose a lot of weight, and I mean a LOT of weight to catch up with him with a stock driveline, it would be a lot easier just to mod your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay i already know i need to get a CAI and some underdrive pulleys and exhaust what else would come after that wouldnt break the bank
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
I wouldnt spend money on exhaust or a CAI just yet. You could put that money into something that could give you more gain, like 3.73 gears, high stall torque converter, ported intakes and heads, a cam. All of those things add a decent amount of power. They do cost money, however, but that is simply unavoidable anyhow.
-Thomas
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
yep

Thomas said:
it really doesnt take much to be able to beat a v6 f-body. You would have to lose a lot of weight, and I mean a LOT of weight to catch up with him with a stock driveline, it would be a lot easier just to mod your car.

exactly because my t-bird usually gets roasted by most v-6 fbodies they are quick off the line already and then they just hold it. they already weigh less than us. and our 3.8 is around 140 or 150 hp and from what you put is a 94 so he has a l32 which is a 3.4l which is even almost with our hp. how fast is your brothers car have you actullay rode in it does it seem faster than yours is now?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
1superford said:
exactly because my t-bird usually gets roasted by most v-6 fbodies they are quick off the line already and then they just hold it. they already weigh less than us. and our 3.8 is around 140 or 150 hp and from what you put is a 94 so he has a l32 which is a 3.4l which is even almost with our hp. how fast is your brothers car have you actullay rode in it does it seem faster than yours is now?
my brothers car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
hey ppl new guy here..i have a pretty hot engine on my 87 thunderbird but i suffer from alot of weight i need to lighten up big time..any other ideas? nothing to do with the doors?any other heavy chunks of metal i can ditch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
MCthunderbird said:
what is really putting all the weight on the car my brother said it might be the suspension system or the exhaust system. if it is something else is it something i can take out our i really dont want to get my butt kicked by these fart buckets(imports)around here and i have a long way before i can take my brother(94 camaro RS).all help is very very appreciated i would consider an A/C delete but as hot as it is now not a chance

Wow, your car can't beat the RS? sounds like you need a new car lol jk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
Technically, our cars are not very heavy, their actually midsized cars lol..even though their 80s cars, there not old tankers. Even though my cars weighed down by, Jack, Battery Jumper Pack, Hatchet, Pick and somtiems a bowling ball, it still rolls along fine.=:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,978 Posts
vantage08 said:
Wow, your car can't beat the RS? sounds like you need a new car lol jk
the 3.4 actually has some pep. No top end to speak of, but the torque is quite impressive. When my v6 was stock I had to turn corners and floor it to get the tires to make any kind of noise. The 3.4 can make it no problem. That combined with their slightly lighter weight makes it an obvious winner in a race.
-Thomas
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top