TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was discussing this with a friend and need some feedback on this. I am told the PI explorer engine yields a weight loss of 70lbs on the front end. Also that the A/C lines and compressor are around 30lbs or so.

If I were to delete the A/C system and put the aluminum block in as well as relocate my battery to the trunk, would this shave around 150lbs off the nose end?

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
roughly....but you have to consider this, when moving the battery to the trunk, you actually gain a few pounds back with the heavy gauge wire from front to back....not a huge gain, but some.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
You could also switch to a fiberglass hood to offset the weight of the heavy cabling for the batt. in the trunk. I think the stock hood comes in at around 50lbs, and a 'glass one at 30~ish.

Jay

·
Registered
903 Posts
As far as your original question goes, your about right on your weight savings. I took my compressor off (dont forget all the crap you can take out too if your not running AC, like lines, condensor, dryer, crap like that) and that thing was a pig. Also, with the kit I got (just a dummy pulley and bracket), to remove the crank sensor if you would have to replace it, all you have to do now is take the pulley off, instead of removing the whole compressor.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
don't forget about hairyglass.com

·
Registered
789 Posts
Relocating the battery does shave weight off the front end. Adds weight to the whole car... but the front end is lighter. I am told that the rear is better weight transfer for a drag setup.

·
Registered
136 Posts
roughly....but you have to consider this, when moving the battery to the trunk, you actually gain a few pounds back with the heavy gauge wire from front to back....not a huge gain, but some.
Yeah you may gain a couple but it's in a better place...lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yeah you may gain a couple but it's in a better place...lol
Also helps the overall front to rear weight ratio of the car. Which is super important for better vehicle handling and response, street or track!

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
anyone have any experiences with the dyna batt?

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
They are not good. Leave the dome light on for 5 minutes and you aren't going to have enough cranking power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts