TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1994 cougar with 4.6 I am having a weird charging problem. The volts seem to be surging. I'm on my 3rd alt now. Same issue with each alt. I got a smaller pulley from a member here and it didn't really help. When I turn my headlights on at night I can see them getting brighter and dimmer really fast. Almos strobe light fast. I can also open a door and it happens with the dome light even with the was lights off. I can bring the car up off an idle and it stops. I tried adding extra grounds via the big 3 method (or something on that order) that I read on here. The volt gauge will bounce up an down as this is happening. Any ideas on anything else to check? I have checked and added grounds and replaced the power wire. I don't know what else to check. Any ideas.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i had a the same problem with a 95 explorer with a 5.0.
it was 15 years ago so my memory isn't the best. but i hope it will point you in the right direction.
one of the wires from the back of the alternator plug wasn't getting proper voltage. my guess is it had some strands of wires that were broken somewhere in the harness. i could put a test light on the wire and watch it flicker.
so i added a jumper wire between the plug in on the back of the alternator to a wire in the junction box, near the firewall, on the main harness.

hope this helps

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought I will update you guys. It tens out the connector was loose at the alt. I tightened it up by pushing on it with a small screw driver and then used the screw driver to ales it back onto the post on the alt. everything works as it should now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just thought I will update you guys. It tens out the connector was loose at the alt. I tightened it up by pushing on it with a small screw driver and then used the screw driver to ales it back onto the post on the alt. everything works as it should now.
good to hear. i had a similar issue with my taurus several months back. it would kill alternators, and i had all kinds of electrical issues, radio would work then stop, the tach would work the stop, same with the speedo, etc. turned out that i had a bad blower motor that was drawing about 40amps by itself, why it didnt blow a fuse i have no idea, but the overall current draw was 70 amps and the alternator was rated at 75 amps. since the blower motor was replaced i have had no more issues electrically.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Glad to see it was was a simple fix! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts