TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 Mercury Cougar and I was going through my car and found this weird key that says "MASTER" on it, it has symetrical tumblers on both sides, at first I thought it was something the previous left accidentally in the car, but I was on ebay and noticed a car with this exact same key with the owner's manual. My car didn't have an owners manual so I couldn't look it up. Does anybody know what its for?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No dude, it doesn't resemble a car key at all, it looks like a cashbox key or something. I'll see if I can get a pic posted up with it.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
That is a key for an older Master lock padlocks. I can't think of anything that would cause them to come with the car, you have a sun roof? hahah, I don't know, I have some of those locks though, now that I look at them, they are probably bump proof!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
try the glove compartment lock

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Maybe it's the key that opens the metal box that sometimes hangs on the window at the dealership. I know my bird had that on it when I went to test drive it. It had the keys to the car in it.

Jay

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Locking gas cap, lugnuts? Hmm, thats odd.

I thought a saw once some type of key thing to disable the passenger airbag in a vehical, dont think it was mn-12 though.

OOOO, mybee it goes into the trunk poper button thing inside the center console! I always ment to check what key fits in there.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
David_viny said:
...OOOO, mybee it goes into the trunk poper button thing inside the center console! I always ment to check what key fits in there.
Nope. The trunk key fits that one.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
David_viny said:
OOOO, mybee it goes into the trunk poper button thing inside the center console! I always ment to check what key fits in there.
huh? Neither my '89 or '97 has/had any kind of keyhole in the center console near the trunks remote release button? :confused:

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
That is definitely a Master Lock Key, and maybe the previous owner just left it on. That could be it possibly, but that has nothing to do with the car, unless your hood is chained down and that is for the lock on the chain. I had those kind of locks before.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I work with a locksmith from time to time....post a pic of the key....if you don't have a camera, search google images of keys maybe..

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
The key is just an old Master padlock key. however I want to see a pic of the keyhole in Dave's center console. Who put it there and what the heck does it do?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Southpaw said:
however I want to see a pic of the keyhole in Dave's center console. Who put it there and what the heck does it do?
My 94 has it as well. If you lock it it prevents a valet from popping the trunk

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Uh, ok. That was completely ordinary and unsatisfying. lol

Never seen a locking one on an mn12 before...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The key doesn't fit in the trunk lock button. I assumed they left it in there to begin with, but when I saw the key with that ebay listing it threw me off. So I don't know what it is.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Southpaw said:
huh? Neither my '89 or '97 has/had any kind of keyhole in the center console near the trunks remote release button? :confused:
It's a 94+ thing that probably got phased out in 97.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
looks like a gas cap key

my 93 has a ford key with a big oval head that doesnt fit any of the locks I have no idea what that is and I got the car from the original owner ?????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts