TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was wondering if you guys can help me on this.

Ive spent a fortune on this car and im not giving up just yet! lol
When i have the car in drive and the cars stopped idiling in drive, i get this really super light knocking noise coming from the front of the car, I just replaced the two engine mounts and transmission mount by removing the subframe. everything was placed properly and ive been doing a tonne of research on this. from what i have read on the forums here it could possibly be my cat. Is there any symptoms i can match up with all of your knowledge to pinpoint this light knocking noise.

I was thinking it could possibly be a bad powersteering pump. When i turn the wheel and hold it just before full lock the knocking gets a little louder when i let go it lightens up a lot. when im actually driving the car its not present. Do you guys also think it could be a heatshield or bad exhaust pipes?

Please get back soon, any information will help

Thanks
Kyle

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its hard to record because i cant pin point where its coming from and my video camera wont pick up the sound, but i can hear it. lol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that's correct, im hoping that someone might have had a similar knocking noise after changing their mounts or turning their wheel before full lock. Im willing to try and check what they suggest, like checking for noisy fuel injectors as per sousa632. Possibly its a common problem that im unaware of. Like i said, i tried videotaping and it didn't work. I will try my brothers voice recorder maybe it will pick it up.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Imma take a stab at it....the fact that the RPMs drop and the knocking sound level increases infers to me that there is a loss of oil pressure associated with this, thus causing either the crank to smack the main bearings or the rods to smack the rod bearings...at driving speeds, the engine RPMs are obviously higher, along with the oil pressure, which could be why you don't hear it when driving

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, when the wheel is turned the car's rpm's do go slightly lower. but the noise doesn't get louder, it just happens more frequent. But what you say makes sense to me. I think im going to take it back to the shop because i got my oil pan rebuilt because i couldn't find a stock replacement anywhere. That would suck if my oil pump was bad because i JUST had everything apart and the oil pump was easily accessible. but if it has to be done it has to be done. I had my oil pump die on my old 1993 cougar, it wasn't pretty. I don't want to go through that again lol, ill take it back and see if they can check it out.

Thanks Guitar Maestro!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill update you guys on the problem.

Its actually fixed. When i got the oil pan replaced the mechanic put 5W-30 in the engine. Ive read everywhere to put 10W-30. I did an oil change and the noise went away. I heard about this Lucas Oil enhancer product. You guys think i should also use it to be on the safe side?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
The engine is actually suppose to run on 5-20 per ford recommendations so Gmaestro is prolly headed in the direction of the problem

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Bottom End Knock

Shoot, when I start the Bird after it's been sitting overnight, mine knocks like crazy until the oil pressure pumps up. Definately worn clearances, huh? If I keep the oil maybe 1/2 - 1 quart overfilled, it doesn't do it so much (prolly got the crank dipping in the oil at that point lol). Also, a bottle of that Motor Honey added to the crankcase keeps it from hammering, too.

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
the engine would run just fine with 5w-30, if there is nothing wrong with it.....if 5w-30 is too thin, then that is a tell-tale sign of worn clearances, likely in the bottom end
The engine is actually suppose to run on 5-20 per ford recommendations so Gmaestro is prolly headed in the direction of the problem
I'd listen to these guys; one of my old 390 engines lasted about 6 mos after I switched to 20W50 from 10w40 to cure a similar problem.

It starts quiet, but it gets louder over time.

Eventually it will sieze on startup, most likely; mine did.

Put a real oil pressure gauge on it; it will tell you more than anything.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I'd listen to these guys; one of my old 390 engines lasted about 6 mos after I switched to 20W50 from 10w40 to cure a similar problem.

It starts quiet, but it gets louder over time.

Eventually it will sieze on startup, most likely; mine did.

Put a real oil pressure gauge on it; it will tell you more than anything.
+1

When you hear it, obviously the parts are getting worse and worse. That's why I told you what I do to keep mine from making noise. No noise = it's gonna last longer. My engine noises are exactly the same today as they were 4 years ago when I got the car, so my ideas must be doing something right. BTW, i'm not real easy on this poor old engine either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts