TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this i started noticing yesterday: as i accelerate over 20 mph, the car starts making this humming noise under the hood( well i think its under the hood, as i can clearly hear it if i get closer to the wheel as im driving). its just constant little humming noise, that doesnt sound really bad, but its like close to a sound of a differential noise on some cars...i just dont know how to explain it. i was playing around today and this noise stops for an instant if i move the wheel, but just for like a split second...it doesnt sound like its the power steering pump or anything, and right now i dont know what it is...just wondering what u guys would think and if this has happened to anyone...thanks and any input is appreciated...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
It could be a wheel bearing wearing out. It happened on mine recently, and the noise sounded a little like a tire hum. It increased with speed. One good indicator that it is a bearing noise is if it goes away when you turn one direction. I.E., if you turn left and the noise goes away, it's likely the left wheel bearing.

I also had a tie rod problem, which exacerbated the bearing problem, but the bearing noise was still quite noticeable after that got fixed.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are the parts expensive?...could it be done on my drive way?...cant afford to go to a shop and do this....i bet it would be expensive at the shops...

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
If it is a front wheel bearing, you can do it yourself, as long as you have a 36mm wrench, and a torque wrench capable of applying 250 lb./ft. of torque.

If it was a rear wheel bearing, it gets a little more involved in replacing it;

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/rearwheelbearing.html

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does anyone have the steps for a front wheel bearing...how about the prices? i am pretty sure its the fronts....

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The front bearing comes with a new hub. You remove the brake caliper assembly and rotor, then remove the 36mm spindle nut, and swap the hubs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts