TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at other threads is looks like valve guide seals?

This is the strangest thing I have ever seen. The car does not smoke on startup, hard acceleration, or deceleration. However, if the car sits and idles in a traffic jam for 10 or minutes it will lay a cloud of smoke of a few seconds during initial acceleration.

I admit it is kind of fun smoking out the toll booth operators, but I am somewhat baffeled by this problem. If the rings were bad it would smoke under load or at startup. If the guides were shot I would see smoke on startup or decelaration. Do you guys think it oil is being ingested through the PCV system?

The car is a 4.6 with 150k. No oil fouling on plugs and no oil residue in exhaust.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I would say 99.9% valve stem seals (not the guides). :D

It is a known problem with that specific symptom. (In the later 4.6L engines Ford upgraded the seals to a different design/material. :thumbsup:

Proper repair is to replace the seals, which isn’t too bad, since you don’t have to pull the heads. :beek:

But I have had very good luck with running the Valvoline MaxLife oil. I would say it decreased my smoking after idle by about 70%. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
We've been discussing this over here.

Here's another.

Lol, I guess I should point out the :search: button at the top of the page (for the lucas stuff), coz this has been gone over and over agian.:D

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts