TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.8 Essex in my Thunderbird is making a whooping/mooing sound coming from the upper intake manifold when shutting off, and you can feel each combustion chamber hit one last time. Any ideas on what this could be? :confused:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked and found none leaking, but its hard to hear for a leak seeing as my ps pump is going out so it whines, but i checked and couldn't find one.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Try spraying soapy water, or use an unlit propane torch around the vacuum lines and manifold. You can see the leak (if there are any) with the soap and water, or when you hit one with the propane you will hear it when the engine sucks it in. Also check around the throttle body.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just recently took the MAF off and cleaned it(last week cause I thought that was the problem.) And the airfilter is still clean but its a fram so im looking into a k&n airfilter. And tommorrow i'll try the soapy water thing.

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
the k&n is not going to help you... the only advantage you will have is being a reusable filter. our engines do not suck in enough air.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had plenty of experience with cars that don't suck in air, such as a ford taurus. and trust me a k&n is much more worth it than this fram paper filter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not saying your wrong but i prefer the k&n compared to whats in there. compared to what feels like 5 layers of contruction paper stuck in my intake i'll take just about anything else

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i figured out my engine light isn't lighting up cause this has to be throwing codes, im trying to get the dash off but the light nob refuses to come off, is there any tricks to get that little lever release to let go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got it I just had to pull harder. And there was no bulb in the socket. So I put one in, so now if it doesn't light up the computer doesn't know anything right? or do I have to do something to kick the computer into gear?

·
The Parts Guy
7,359 Posts
That sound that you're hearing from the upper intake when turning off is a common precursor to the failure of the IAC (idle air control). If your car suddenly starts experiencing a high idle, you'll know that the IAC's done.

-Rod

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well thats good to know because i idle at over 2000rpms, will that throw a code?
and is there another name, i can't find it on the autozone site

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
racecougar said:
That sound that you're hearing from the upper intake when turning off is a common precursor to the failure of the IAC (idle air control). If your car suddenly starts experiencing a high idle, you'll know that the IAC's done.

-Rod
:zwthstpd: i would start there as well .

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
The IAC may not throw a code. Mine never did when it died. I also had the same problem with getting a new one, the guy at the store knew what I wanted but couldnt find it on the system. Youll prob have to go to a dealer, or get a used one from a wrecker.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
dont botherwith a used one, not worth the time and effort

1 - 20 of 39 Posts