TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just took delivery on my 92 5.0L Sport and its got the weirdest problem I've ever seen. The headlights don't work, I'm replacing the instrument cluster because none of the gauges work, and on top of that, when I try to turn on the headlights, or parking lights, the whole cluster lights up... including the turn signals. I'm baffled....

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
if the cluster lights up, it might not be a problem with the cluster itself. dont replace it until you know its junk. have you checked all the fuses?

when you say the gauges dont work, do you mean they dont light up normally or they just dont turn at all?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Just a thought....

but when you start checking things out - I'd want confirm that
your headlight switch is fully and correctly functional.

Also, one other thought....though I think it's a pretty
long shot - have you checked other areas of the car for
possible signs of water damage...hate to even bring it up..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update

Well I fixed the headlight problem, the fuse was blown... now the headlights work. When I'm talking about the cluster I mean that the fuel level is registered at half and I ran out of gas... and the speedo only goes to 30... and I took it home on the turnpike with someone behind me calling me telling me that I'm doing 90 and to slow down... and the voltage says zero, and the oil says over high, and the coolant is stuck a little over the start of normal... I'm going to replace the cluster and see what happens after that... I just still have EVERY light come on when I turn on the parking lights or the headlights... oh yeah, and the fog lights work now too.

·
Registered
467 Posts
well...you also can have all bad sensors too...but i would change the cluster first...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That's good news

" I just still have EVERY light come on when I turn on the
parking lights or the headlights... oh yeah, and the fog
lights work now too."

Definitely an improvement - but with the lights still acting
funny, I'd still be a bit suspicious of that headlight switch.

This just a GUESS, but it seems to me that dash wiring uses
common feeds...common ground, that kind of thing...sounds
like the gauges resistance levels might be messed up....?
Hate to see you have to pull and replace the whole dash pod...
but, maybe, in the long run, it might prove to be the quickest
fix...

Good luck,

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Re: That's good news

MagerThom said:
Hate to see you have to pull and replace the whole dash pod...
but, maybe, in the long run, it might prove to be the quickest
fix...
Not if his headlight switch is causing a short and blowing the fuse...

"Some folks are born made to wave the flag,
Ooh, they're red, white and blue.
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief",
Ooh, they point the cannon at you, Lord, "

:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update again

The fuse isn't blowing, it just wasn't making contact. I think I can get a cluster for about $55 so I'll replace that first... then I'll replace the headlight switch... MagerThom, are you saying that the wires might be spliced??? Doesn't seem to me like that should happen since the cluster runs off of a different fuse then the lights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Final Update

Well I replaced the cluster... kinda.... the cluster that I got wouldn't work... I pluged it in and went for a drive... the antilock brake and high beam lights stayed on but the rest of the cluster worked!!!! I could tell my fuel level!!! Well, I checked something and turned the lights on... well.... the antilock and high lights went out... so with me being completly baffled I decided to try something else.... merging the two clusters.... well, it worked.... now I have a fully working cluster, and it works the way its suppose to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Awesome!

Don't you just *love* electrical gremlins?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts