TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my driver side high beam bulb went out, so i bought a new one, swapped it in, works, problem solved. as i checked to see if it was working, i noticed the passenger side turn signal bulb was out, too. so i removed the corner housing and inspected the bulb. i left it hanging loose, and went to turn on the hazards. both corners lit up. weird. i killed the hazards, turned on the parking lights and went to check them. driver side corner lit up, passenger side still out :confused: is this a wiring issue? i should note that i recently had my front end fixed at a shop for some frame damage. when i got it back, i noticed there was a small connector hanging down through the square holes on the bottom of the bumper, below the driver side headlight. i havent crawled under there yet to look for a place that it might go. i doubt that this connector is the guilty party, but why would a connector on the driver side have anything to do with my passenger side turn signal bulb acting weird? any ideas?

·
Registered
653 Posts
You know, I had a similar problem when I got my Silverstar blue/amber corner bulbs. The two on the driver's side were fine, as was the parking light on the passenger side, but the turn signal didn't light up unless I actually had the signal itself on (wouldn't turn on with the lights or car alarm arm/disarm). I was planning on waiting for a nice day to inspect it thinking I hadn't pushed it all the way in, then one day it just started working fine. Weird stuff..

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
the turn signal bulb as well as the head lights have 2 filiments.

One filiment can go out while the other works fine... the reason for this is the parking lights are dimmer than the actual flasher... so when the parking lights are on the blinker will be noticbly different in brightness.

just replace the bulb and it will be good....

MG

·
Registered
653 Posts
MadGoat said:
the turn signal bulb as well as the head lights have 2 filiments.

One filiment can go out while the other works fine... the reason for this is the parking lights are dimmer than the actual flasher... so when the parking lights are on the blinker will be noticbly different in brightness.

just replace the bulb and it will be good....

MG
Any ideas on what happened with mine? :D

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
sounds like an open...

meaning there is a hanging connection somewhere that jiggled its self back togather... either in a wire or connection housing somewhere...

Inspect the conection terminals inside the little plastic seat the bulb plugs into... bet they either need to be cleaned or fixed....

MG

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Just a note about the dual filaments in the bulbs. If you use clear bulbs in the "inner" parking lights (I call them the "just pretty" lights) and wire it so that the "major" filament comes on instead of the "minor" filament, you'll get a much brighter light. Even better if you can wire it so that BOTH filaments come on.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Traveler said:
Just a note about the dual filaments in the bulbs. If you use clear bulbs in the "inner" parking lights (I call them the "just pretty" lights) and wire it so that the "major" filament comes on instead of the "minor" filament, you'll get a much brighter light. Even better if you can wire it so that BOTH filaments come on.
true that...........

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Traveler said:
Big mike has a 93. The "just pretty" lights on his car are actually high beams :tongue:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Yea, I know. I'm planning on doing something like that myself this summer, but I need an extra set of headlights to "play" with first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts